MSC Divina Cruise Review by rckymtnsparrow

Member Name: rckymtnsparrow
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Western Mediterranean
See More About: MSC Divina Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: MSC Divina Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Divina Deck Plans
MSC Divina - not so divine!!
Myself and some girlfriends took a 7-night trip roundtrip from Venice to Venice on the MSC Divina. The ship was beautiful, with many impressive public spaces. The cabins (ours was a small (very small) cabin with a veranda), were nicely appointed but exceptionally small. The smallest cabin I have ever been in on a ship. We had room for 2 twin beds, 2 tiny bed stands and one table/desk which was just wide enough to fit a small cushion under. There was also a corner book shelf. It was too small for 2 people comfortably. The verandah was also small. So enough about the ship/rooms.

The food was never hot - this is a LARGE ship - 4,200 passengers I think, so I should not have been surprised to find that hot food was just not possible. At best it was warm. The food quality was acceptable, but not great. Most ships offer some food in the late evenings around midnight, which I like since we enjoy nights at the casino. When I went to find something all they had was luke-warm and old-looking pizza and sandwiches. Since I did not want a sandwich I asked just for a scoop of the tuna-fish salad. they said it was only for sandwiches. After an exasperating discussion, I finally told him to give me the tuna-fish salad sandwich, but that I would throw away the bread. Only then did he comply with a sour puss. How stupid is that???? I did throw away the bread, how very wasteful.

Then let's talk about the spa.....ooh boy. That staff is in great need of some training on how to deal with people, particularly the management. We had just finished a yoga class (which we paid for by the way) and wanted to use the spa restroom. We were told by the spa manager (male), that the restrooms were only for use by clients having a massage. We asked him to make "an exception" and he was firm - it was only for massage clients - did you ever hear of such a thing?? Further, during a subsequent facial, the woman giving the facial also gave me a neck/back massage (which I did not ask for and would have preferred a facial/scalp massage) which really hurt. I told her she was hurting me, and she just continued. I'm not sure she understood English at all.

Everywhere on the ship was pretty crowded, and disembarking from the ship at each port of call was no exception. Our average time waiting on the stairwells to exit the ship was 30-45 minutes - in a hot, crowded, uncomfortable standing scenario - like sardines. Awful!

Also, on the main floor of attractions, think it was the 6th floor, you could not walk from one end of the ship to the other to go from place to place. You had to go to the floor above or below it to get to the other end of the ship, where the other attractions were. What poor planning.

All in all, the ship was too large, too many people, and a poorly trained staff which acted often like they were bored with the passengers and hated their jobs.

I would NEVER recommend this ship nor this cruise line (it was our first time on a really large ship and on an MSC ship).

Stick to the American liners if you want no unpleasant surprises - we like Holland America the best. They know how to take care of their customers.

Publication Date: 07/28/13