Carnival Valor Cruise Review by 08DesertRat: Not what we expected

Not what we expected

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

I took my daughter on this cruise after her high school graduation. As this was our first cruise I have nothing to compare it with except my expectations (which may or may not have been realistic). I chose this cruise solely on the itinerary.It was 7 nights with 6 ports. There was only 1 day at sea. We took an excursion at every port. 2 of them we scheduled on our own and the rest we booked through the cruise line.

I have to say that our oceanview stateroom was amazing and the cabin steward kept everything perfect. Our window was big enough to throw in some pillows and sit--which we did often. We were on Deck 2, the main deck, and so we were close to the water--which we loved.

Club 02--for 15-17 year olds was wonderful for my daughter. We spent the days and evenings together and then she went off and made many friends in the teen club. There were many, many activities on board ship and I was surprised how many people never left the ship at any port.

The big More disappointment for me was the food. It just wasn't very good. The main dining room staff was slow and inefficient. We had to count on a good hour and a half for dinner--not because we were slowly enjoying our evening but because we were sitting and waiting a lot.

We don't gamble so the Casino and the Bingo games were of no interest. The comedy club was boring. I just don't find it entertaining for a comedian to see how many times he can say the F word in one joke. They just really weren't that funny--and judging from the lack of laughter, I'd say others felt that way, too. The many nightclub areas were typically scheduled for particular groups---singles, LGBT, Divorcees, etc. I would not choose this ship again just because it didn't really have the kinds of things I enjoy but...it is a great ship with great staterooms and a remarkable staff. Now that I know what to look for, I'll shop around for the ships that have similar itineraries. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Oceanview Main 2239

Great window in the Ocean View class. We could put pillows in and sit.Tons of closet space.Noisy hallway (because of rude people)Amazing cabin stewards--room ALWAYS clean and neat.Instant and stable hot water in the showers.Only 1 electrical outlet was a challenge for us.Minibar stocked but fridge not very cold.

There is so much to do in San Juan. If I had not looked at it just as the starting and ending point of the cruise, I would have been on top of booking tours. We just ran out of time (and steam) to do it all.

Read 1353 San Juan Reviews

We went horseback riding on the beach through an excursion booked with the Cruise ship. We had a great time!