Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by sayleaway

Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Whittier
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Dining Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
        10-12 2.0
        16+ 3.0
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Sun Medical Staff Took Good Care!

Unfortunately, I spent my entire time on our Alaska Southbound cruise on Norwegian Sun being very, very sick. While in the boarding line, I wasn't feeling well, but I thought it was just jet lag. It wasn't long before I realized that I likely had food poisoning (symptoms matched Salmonella poisoning). It must be noted that I DID NOT contract the food poisoning on the Sun. My suspicion is some poorly handled Salmon in the Seattle airport, but I can't know for sure.

I spent the first few days feeling miserable, but was reluctant to go to the medical center because I knew I would likely be quarantined. On night three, it was clear that I was getting dehydrated and simply had no choice but to go down there (honestly, at that point, I didn't care if I got quarantined).

The Sun medical staff was willing to allow me to come to the medical center before posted hours and after a brief examination, they told me that I needed IV fluids. I spent the next five hours hooked to an IV receiving fluids. The medical staff was fantastic! They took great care of me, were very professional and gave me the necessary fluids and two different antibiotics. Alas, I was quarantined for about 36 hours, but that is a CDC regulation and I understand that it is in the public interest. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spend much time at all exploring the Sun, but I would not hesitate to sail on her again. My only regret was not going to the medical center earlier as my whole trip was basically trashed. Even so, I was able to see many beautiful things from my balcony (which I highly recommend if you get quarantined - at least you get to see some of Alaska!)

I am also thankful that I took out travel insurance. It looks like it will cover my trip costs and possible some of my family's trip costs.

Every staff member I encountered on the Sun was pleasant, especially Grace, our fantastic room steward. She always asked how I was doing and was always there to help out.

We have sailed on Carnival, RCCL, and NCL. NCL is by far our favorite so far, even with my illness. Looking forward to sailing with them again - and next time I'll take some antibiotics with me!

Publication Date: 07/04/13