Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Bazza09: Health,Welfare, Safety and falling standards

Bazza09
Member Since 2013

Health,Welfare, Safety and falling standards

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Our flight to Palma in premium extra leg room seats turned into a nightmare.Ended up in row 15 with wife and I either side of the aisle.Boarded the Dream,our first experience of this ship,to find out there was NOROVIRUS on board and had been for about 5/6 weeks prior to our vacation.No prior warning from Thomson which would have given the option to cancel or reshcedule as I had undergone heart bypass surgery and needed infection like a hole in the head

Due to the virus the pools had been emptied,although they were refilled later in the second week of our trip.Jaccuzis were emptied and remained so throughout.Unable to use the gym,library out bounds - no internet or wi-fi.The numbers affected were unknown to passengers you could see mats placed outside cabins affected,including next door to our own,for quarantine purposes.My understanding is if a ship has the virus on board it is quarantined for deep cleaning and sanitisation before resuming its programme,this was obviously not More the case. How do you disembark,deep clean and sanitise a cabin and embark fresh passengers witin a few hours with reduced housekeeping staff. NOT possilbe.Sadly the standards on board didn't match up tp previous cruises. We where on the Celebration last year and the reduction in housekeeping,resturant,bar waiter staff was quite evident.They were carrying on in their happy helpful way to the best of their abilities. I spoke with several I had met on previous cruises on board both the Spirit & Celebration and cuts where taking there toll. Maybe this is aiding towards the virus?

Food in the buffet resturants was only luke warm plus plates and trays were not being cleared in a timely manner due to manning levels - plates left ofn tables, trays on the floor.Due to the virus,the crew were having pass trays,cutlery and plates to the individual.Hand sanitising machines where everywhere.Destination Services were a joke.Ports were cut from the schedule with lame excuses. Excursions were cancelled with little or no notice. They seemed to think that as long as the cost of the cancelled trip was reimbursed then everything was ok.This was a £3,500 Platinum cruise! In there dreams. Even the cabins and especially the bathrooms were grubby. I could not see any so called platinum upgrade except in the cost of the holiday. To cap it all on the last day of the trip my wife went down with the virus.She was violently ill on the plane home from Palma to Manchester and had to be medivacced to Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester on arrival. She has now thankfully recovered. When I contacted Thomson with my findings they replied that they felt they fulfilled their obligations and I needed to contact my holiday insurance for compensation. Your Joking! However they did offer a vouched to the value of £100 against my next holiday. I replied to their letted stating I would never again use Thomsom Holidays again and I am seeking legal redress for jeopardising my wifes health and what could have been mine too.
People reading this be warned Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>