Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by Glitterini

Member Name: Glitterini
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
See More About: Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
        Under 3 1.0
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Carnival Sunshine Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Carnival Sunshine Deck Plans
Loved the Sunshine!

We sailed on Carnival Sunshine on the June 7th sailing and we had an amazing experience. Boarding was quick and efficient. We arrived around 11:00 (embarkation was at noon) and were onboard at approximately 12:30. Our room wasn't ready however (they still hadn't vacuumed) and we had to wait until 1:30. In the meantime, we ate at Guy's Burger Joint which was fantastic. I also did a tour of the spa. Later on I did some laundry. The laundry room on Lido Deck is a little cramped. The one on Deck 8 is bigger and seems to be less crowded as well.

Our cabin was a spa interior on Deck 11. If you have reduced mobility and want a spa cabin, I would highly suggest getting one on Deck 10. There are only 2 elevators going up to decks 11 & up and it literally took sometimes 15 minutes before the elevator actually arrived. It gets worse when it's about an hour before sail away since everyone is coming back on the ship. Deck 10 has I think 6 elevators. Around the middle of our cruise however, a lovely gentleman gave me the "trick" which was to press on both arrows when requesting the elevator. After that, we only waited max 2 minutes.

The cabin itself was good. A little small but it's to be expected with an interior. They brought us a crib for the baby but it was a metal crib that looked like a hospital bed. Our son moves a lot when he sleeps so it just wasn't working for him. There is a lot of storage and the bathroom is super clean. Water pressure in the shower was great. The only thing is we didn't have a shampoo and shower gel dispenser until the third day. We did have our Elemis products and obviously preferred those anyway.

We had your time dining which worked out great for us since we were travelling with our 8 month old. The waiter team we had was fantastic. We requested to be with them for the entirety of our cruise. Both my husband and I were very satisfied with the food that was served. We would give the baby the soup appetizer and he loved it. Service was quick but it never felt as though they were kicking you out to make more space for other diners. We never felt rushed. We always had a highchair for our son ready as we arrived.

After supper, we always went to the Havana Bar which was AMAZING. I'm a salsa dancer and the band was great. They played a variety of music (salsa, merengue, bachata and cumbia). They also had great music when they would take breaks, more urban though like Reggaeton. Major plus here was that we could bring our baby and let him sleep in the stroller while we had some adult fun since there is no minimum age like in the Liquid Lounge. There are no kids running around though. I think we saw maybe one four or five year old on one night.

We ate breakfast and lunch most times at the Lido Marketplace. We would go a little "off" hours because it would tend to get crowded and it would become difficult finding a table. The food was great. Lots of choices for us and we would give yogurt to our baby.

The only thing that seemed odd to me (or just wasn't thought of) was that there is no changing table in the main dining room bathroom. I had to change my baby lying down over the sinks which proved to be quite a challenge. Thankfully there was a lady from housekeeping who was always more than willing to help and oddly would always walk in or be cleaning the bathroom when my baby needed a change. Thank goodness she was there to lend me a hand.

Our itinerary was fantastic and was the main reason we chose to sail on Carnival Sunshine. We were not disappointed.

Overall we had an amazing experience and would definitely sail again on Sunshine.

Port 6 - Messina - We took the Godfather tour with Carnival and most definitely recommend it. We saw parts of Sicily that you cannot see by visiting on your own. Towns on top of cliffs. Driving on road that you feel as if if someone were to shift in the bus, you'd go tumbling down into the abyss. Canoli that are out of this world and a beautiful landscape.

Publication Date: 07/02/13
Read the Western Mediterranean ports review by Glitterini
More Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Carnival Sunshine review Read the next Carnival Sunshine review

More Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews