Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by Glitterini: Loved the Sunshine!

Glitterini
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Sunshine Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Loved the Sunshine!

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

We sailed on Carnival Sunshine on the June 7th sailing and we had an amazing experience. Boarding was quick and efficient. We arrived around 11:00 (embarkation was at noon) and were onboard at approximately 12:30. Our room wasn't ready however (they still hadn't vacuumed) and we had to wait until 1:30. In the meantime, we ate at Guy's Burger Joint which was fantastic. I also did a tour of the spa. Later on I did some laundry. The laundry room on Lido Deck is a little cramped. The one on Deck 8 is bigger and seems to be less crowded as well.

Our cabin was a spa interior on Deck 11. If you have reduced mobility and want a spa cabin, I would highly suggest getting one on Deck 10. There are only 2 elevators going up to decks 11 & up and it literally took sometimes 15 minutes before the elevator actually arrived. It gets worse when it's about an hour before sail away since everyone is coming back on the ship. Deck 10 has I think 6 elevators. Around the middle of our cruise More however, a lovely gentleman gave me the "trick" which was to press on both arrows when requesting the elevator. After that, we only waited max 2 minutes.

The cabin itself was good. A little small but it's to be expected with an interior. They brought us a crib for the baby but it was a metal crib that looked like a hospital bed. Our son moves a lot when he sleeps so it just wasn't working for him. There is a lot of storage and the bathroom is super clean. Water pressure in the shower was great. The only thing is we didn't have a shampoo and shower gel dispenser until the third day. We did have our Elemis products and obviously preferred those anyway.

We had your time dining which worked out great for us since we were travelling with our 8 month old. The waiter team we had was fantastic. We requested to be with them for the entirety of our cruise. Both my husband and I were very satisfied with the food that was served. We would give the baby the soup appetizer and he loved it. Service was quick but it never felt as though they were kicking you out to make more space for other diners. We never felt rushed. We always had a highchair for our son ready as we arrived.

After supper, we always went to the Havana Bar which was AMAZING. I'm a salsa dancer and the band was great. They played a variety of music (salsa, merengue, bachata and cumbia). They also had great music when they would take breaks, more urban though like Reggaeton. Major plus here was that we could bring our baby and let him sleep in the stroller while we had some adult fun since there is no minimum age like in the Liquid Lounge. There are no kids running around though. I think we saw maybe one four or five year old on one night.

We ate breakfast and lunch most times at the Lido Marketplace. We would go a little "off" hours because it would tend to get crowded and it would become difficult finding a table. The food was great. Lots of choices for us and we would give yogurt to our baby.

The only thing that seemed odd to me (or just wasn't thought of) was that there is no changing table in the main dining room bathroom. I had to change my baby lying down over the sinks which proved to be quite a challenge. Thankfully there was a lady from housekeeping who was always more than willing to help and oddly would always walk in or be cleaning the bathroom when my baby needed a change. Thank goodness she was there to lend me a hand.

Our itinerary was fantastic and was the main reason we chose to sail on Carnival Sunshine. We were not disappointed.

Overall we had an amazing experience and would definitely sail again on Sunshine.

Port 6 - Messina - We took the Godfather tour with Carnival and most definitely recommend it. We saw parts of Sicily that you cannot see by visiting on your own. Towns on top of cliffs. Driving on road that you feel as if if someone were to shift in the bus, you'd go tumbling down into the abyss. Canoli that are out of this world and a beautiful landscape. Less

Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sunshine 11007

Small cabin but expected with an interior. Large shower and bathroom. Lovely decor. A lot of storage space; 3 closets and 4 drawers.

We spent a week in Barcelona prior to sailing and had a great time. The city is the cleanest city I have ever seen. There is so much to see and it is beautiful. If you only have one day, I'd suggest a hop on, hop off bus. There are 3 routes and bring you to most sights.

This was one of our favorite ports. The view of the city from the boat is indescribable. Beautiful homes on a hill that winds down to the Old City. The street in the Old City is marble. Beautiful little shops and a market at the end that leaves your taste buds unsatisfied. We went to the island of Lokrum which was just gorgeous. Peacocks running wild, lagoons between rock cliffs and ruins of a monastery. We swam in a very small lagoon that was inside a cliff with a hole looking out to the sea. We were absolutely alone. It was fantastic.

We absolutely loved this port. We decided to do both Pisa and Florence. We took a taxi to the train station which cost 20 euros. Pisa is about 20 minutes away. Once you get to Pisa you need to take the LAM rossa bus to get to the leaning tower. The piazza is magnificent and it's something to see. We spent only an hour there as we wanted to head to Florence. Florence was absolutely beautiful. We wish we would have had more than one day to spend there. It's a very small city so if you just want to walk around it's perfect to spend maybe 3 hours there.

We were not impressed by this port. Shuttle to the Old Port was 14 Euros each, round trip. We ended up seeing a local bus stop around the corner once we got on the shuttle. We went to the Chateau d'If which was very interesting and a lovely sight to see. The people operating the ferry however were absolutely horrible. Tourists around us not much better. We were waiting in the rain for a ferry back to Marseille. The ferry operator was only taking people for another island and was literally screaming at us to move back. We live in Quebec, we speak french. My husband went to speak to the man and told him we were with a baby and asked if we could get on to get the baby out of the rain but they would not let us. People around us were pushing us to get on the ferry and didn't give two hoots that they were trampling over a stroller. We waited for an hour for a ferry to get us, in the rain. There is no cover to hide under, nor is there a board with the ferry times near the dock. Thank goodness I brought a rain cover for the stroller and I have a good sport of an 8 month old.

We decided to go to Pompeii which was a big mistake. I read reviews before leaving and people said that it was fine to bring a stroller, they had no problems and whatnot. Um I don't know if that was the same Pompeii because this one is NOT stroller friendly. Also, this was something I was looking forward to seeing since I was a young girl and I was left very underwhelmed. I wished I would have gone to Capri instead. Napoli itself is a busy, dirty city. There is junk everywhere, taxi drivers harass you to take tours with them. You need to go in the city to actually get a taxi to drive you to the train station.

Read 647 Naples Reviews

We went only to the Vatican since we were returning to Rome after our cruise. It was worth it to spend the day there. The Basilica is just unbelievable. We walked up in the cupola and went to the Vatican museums. The Sistine Chapel is just a work of beauty. There are no words to describe what Michelangelo did in there.

(5.5)
Venice out shined my expectations. It is a unique city that everyone should visit. The architecture is outstanding, the sound of the water lapping on the buildings is the most noise you hear and a gondola ride where we met a gondoliere that happens to have family where I grew up! It was just above and beyond anything I had imagined. The people were incredibly nice and even though there are a lot of tourists, it didn't feel crowded to me.
Read 510 Venice Reviews