Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by putertutor: Mixed Reviews for the Sunshine
Overall Member Rating
Mixed Reviews for the Sunshine
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
1. We were picked up from the dock where the water taxi left us
2. Good cabin steward
3. They served lobster on the first formal night (which was not done on our previous Mediterranean cruise)
4. Lobster, Chateaubriand and prime rib were excellent.
5. We had a problem with the shower. We told the cabin steward and they fixed it the same day.
6. Entertainment in dining room most nights is a nice touch (waiters singing).
7. Great itinerary.
1. They’ve turned the ship into a floating bar. There is a bar in every available space, including the grand atrium (which is no longer a grand atrium).
2. (We were told that there were issues with reboarding the ship in Venice . . . they only had one line set up to allow people back on board and the line was very long. It was extremely hot in Venice, and many couldn’t stand being in the heat for so long. We had already spent a few days in More Venice on our own, thus did not get off to experience ourselves. )
3. We had an issue with our shower (the water temperature wouldn’t turn below 35 degrees Celcius); however, they did fix this right away when we asked.
4. We’ve had an issue with the toilet. That was never fixed.
5. The water system went down on the ship one afternoon and we had no hot water; however, that only lasted for about an hour or two.
6. We did not get many towels in our stateroom one night. We believe this to be related to the water issue. We think that perhaps they were not able to wash all of the towels due to lack of hot water.
7. People we met on decks 9 & 12 have said that the air conditioning was not working well in their rooms and they couldn’t get the temperature below 80 degrees F. In both of these specific cases, these are new cabins that were added in the remodel. In one case the people were told that there is nothing wrong, in the other they were told that they’d try to move them to a different cabin, but they’re still waiting. (We know this is not possible, because the ship is full.)
8. I was very disappointed by the lack of concern for personal hygiene. Every ship we’ve been on has had hand sanitizer when you get on board and at each of the food venues and asked everyone to use it. This ship has hand sanitizer only by the main dining room and in a place where it doesn’t get used often. The buffet has the craziest hand washing stations I’ve ever seen. They’re off where they’re not easily noticed. You have to put your hands in and water comes splashing out (so much so that when I tried it, just to see how it worked, my entire shirt was wet afterwards). There’s supposedly a soap part of the cycle, but if the hand washing station is working, often times a message comes up that it’s out of soap. I have only personally seen these used one time by a child. The soap message was told to me by another passenger.
9. The buffet has been reduced to almost nothing. This was our eleventh cruise and we have never seen such a small buffet. It’s about ¼ the size of most buffets we’re used to. They’ve taken much of the buffet area and turned them into two “for pay” restaurants (a Mongolian and Italian restaurant). On the upside both of these are free for breakfast and lunch and both make omelets at breakfast, which is good, because due to the minimal size of the buffet, that room gets very crowded, so people may go to the room with these two restaurants to find seating and get their omelet. The food is the same every day with fewer options than other ships have had.
10. The theater is very small. I am not sure if they reduced the size during the remodel, but we have never seen a theater this small. It hasn’t seemed like too much of a problem though, but that may be due to the next item.
11. The shows have been repeated and were shown at times that late seating diners could not attend.
12. We were woken up each morning to the noise of furniture being moved on the deck above us (see cabin review). Do not get a cabin on the 8th floor.
13. The dining room set up was set up differently than we have ever experienced. We have a group of 8 people and are at small rectangular tables next to each other, which makes it very difficult to talk. There are no longer big round tables. NOTE: We were told by the head waiter that this is the last sailing with late seating. It will go to only early seating and any time dining starting on the next sailing. I can not verify the accuracy of this information, but if you are sailing any time in the future and have requested late seating, could you please reply to this post and let us know what you were told?
14. Re-boarding the ship was been less pleasant than on most other ships. There have been very long lines and it was almost 90 degrees or warmer outside most days. Many other ships have had water and lemonade set up outside while you wait to re-board.
15. Ships engines went down for a short time while we were 3 miles outside of Monaco. Thankfully the engineers got them back up and working within a half hour.
Overall, we enjoyed our cruise; I believe this is mainly due to the ports we visited. Less
Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review >>
Cabin review: 8A8209 Balcony
With the ship just having been refurbished, we thought everything would be new. Obviously all the staterooms have not been refurbished, because much of what was in our cabin and on the balcony was not new; however, after to talking to a few people in the newly added cabins, we were glad that we had not booked one of those--two of the three we talked to had air conditioning issues. The cabin and balcony, physically were fine. The issue we had was noise. The walls and door are paper thin. I could hear the people next door opening and closing drawers. What was worse was the noise from the Lido Marketplace above. Every morning, between 6:00 and 6:30 a.m. we'd be awakened to the sounds of metal scraping across the ceiling. The next to last morning, we heard hammering and drilling at the same time of morning. I would definitely suggest NOT getting a cabin under the Lido Marketplace, unless you are an early riser! I complained to Guest Services about this (& felt like I was taking a test--they asked me about what time it happened each day and what the noise sounded like). Bottom line, nothing was done about it.Read All Balcony (8A) Reviews >>
Ruined our holiday and joint 2...
Harmony of the Seas July 10, 2...
Worst Cruise on Carnival EVER
Not Worth the Money