Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by ladytravlr2

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by ladytravlr2
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: ladytravlr2
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: BB

Nice girls' trip

I sailed with a friend from the East Coast on the new Breakaway, from the Manhattan port on June 16 to Bermuda.

This was a great trip, however I was not impressed with much of the Breakaway. This was my first time to NY, didn't have time to see much, as we arrived the evening before the cruise and stayed at an airport hotel. We shared travel costs to Pier 88 with another cruise critic member. The drive to the the port was fun, and we at least got to see some of downtown on the way.

The Breakaway looks gorgeous, colorful and huge. Embarking was simple and quick. We were with the Casinos at Sea program, so we had a designated line to get into. We had given our luggage to the porters, so we didn't see it again until it was in our rooms. My friend had hers early, mine came fairly late, don't know why, they had to search the ship for it they said, they had been on the same luggage carrier from the terminal.

We ate lunch in the buffet while waiting for the rooms to be ready, which they were about 2 p.m. We had boarded the ship about 11:30 after the drive over. We explored a little, went and checked out the room, a balcony. The balcony was tiny! But at least it was a balcony. The room was very nice, the bathroom was a good size. The closet was so close to the bed that it was hard for even a person to stand there to open the closet doors. I wish there had been drawers in the room, there are only shelves to put your things. We emptied the mini bar and used the fridge for our own water, etc. Told the room steward we were doing that so all was well.

We were midship out on the bumpout, so we had a good view, the life boats were below us a few decks so it didn't obstruct any views.

We enjoyed eating at Taste, Savor, and the Manhattan room. Liked the atmosphere of the Manhattan room best, it felt a little more upscale. We didn't eat at any of the extra charge restaurants, but ate at O'Sheehan's, and liked it.

The buffet was one of the better ones on the NCL line, but still could have used a little more variety.

We saw Rock of Ages, and loved it, but was disheartened that some young kids were at the late show....what were those parents thinking ( I am talking maybe 7 and 4 year olds). Burn the Floor was good too. Didn't see any other shows.

The sailaway party was fun up at Spice H2O, loved passing by Statue of Liberty and the NYC skyline. Enjoyed the glow/white party one night too.

Bermuda was a treat! I didn't know what to expect really, since I had never thought I would go there. The water/beaches were breathtaking! We went to Horsehoe Beach for one day. Exploring and hanging around Hamilton was fun too one day. We went back for the Harbor Nights...it was worth it. We bought three day passes for ferry and buses...used the ferry most of all.

We went into the Dockyard a little the last day to the little mall there close to the dock..it was nice for whatever you wanted to buy.

All in all, the ship was pretty and all that. I felt it is almost too big, I think I will stick with the ships the approximate size of the Jewel, etc. I was always wondering what deck I needed to go for this ,and that. There are maps everywhere, but it is so big, I had to look at the maps often.

The main thing I was disappointed in was: there was no WOW factor as you enter the ship. I really have always loved seeing the atrium in the ships when you first go aboard....the ones with glass elevators, huge chandeliers, etc....not on this ship. Oh they have an atrium but it's rather small, and not what I call a real gathering place. Then they have a chandelier in the center of the casino area, but it wasn't a wow! The area where the shops were was kind of disappointing too...just not the same as I have liked before.

We did enjoy Fat Cats, with Slam Allan. Went there all evenings except one. That one we went to the Dueling Pianos Howling at the Moon. We would have gone more if we had known how good it was!

The pool area leaves some to be desired, not large enough for 4000 passengers. The kids' area was cute though. I used Spice H2O during the day some because it is adults only then. It has a great little refreshing waterfall feature to cool off in.

Disembarking went smoothly. We walked off ourselves with our luggage. Found a taxi to take us to the airport. Nice drive back through the city.

Would I go on Breakaway again? Not probably. Not my cup of tea, but if price was right I would from a different port to different itinerary. Am I glad I went, YES! Got to experience NYC for a little while, and be on a brand new ship! I just think by trying to get more passengers on the ship, they took away some of the grandness of the experience that SOME cruisers like. I like the beautiful experience of the ship itself, and that was a little lacking with NO WOW factor, for me anyway.

Oh...casino was okay, good slots, didn't feel it was overly smoky. Probably would have been better to be off by itself so people who don't like casinos didn't have to walk through it if they didn't want to.

Publication Date: 07/02/13