“Carnival Magic - a magical week!”
Cruise review of Carnival Magic

herrbarbie Carnival Magic 5 Carnival Magic - a magical week!
herrbarbie
Member Since 2013
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

Our family cruise was in celebration of my granddaughter and nephew son's high school graduation. There were 8 in our party, 4 adults, 2 graduates, an 11 and 7 year old.

We drove to Galveston from North Texas, picking up my nephew and his children at Houston Hobby (flying in from Chattanooga, TN).

We spent Saturday at the Hampton Inn Houston/Texas City. This was a great location and the rooms were very nice. We drove down to Galveston Saturday night for dinner at Joe's Crab Shack and a drive by the port.

I booked a spa balcony cabin (8S - 12014) which was everything I expected and more. I love the location on top of the ship, close to the spa and Serenity deck, close to the water park and the forward elevators. The cabin and balcony were very quiet, with the exception of the balcony doors slamming shut. The spa cabin included spa amenities and we especially enjoyed the Thalassotherapy pool and the thermal suites. We never had the time to take the 2 complimentary classes.

The Carnival Magic is a beautiful and well laid out ship. It was very easy to get around and find the many varying areas. We spent most of our sea days sunning on deck 12, close to the Water Works so we could keep an eye on my granddaughter. We enjoyed all the activities going on below and the big screen TV. I loved watching Mamma Mia on the last day at sea!

After boarding we had lunch at Cucina de Capitano. It must be a well kept secret that it is complimentary for lunch. The food and service were excellent, and it is a beautifully appointed room.

Most of us had a family dinner in the Northern Lights main dining room. We loved 'John Wayne' and his assistants. We did eat with other waiters a couple of night, but always came back to Wayan. The food was excellent and plentiful. Now the children think they can order 2 or 3 entrees for all meals! On lobster night the extra tails were ready before we asked. I also loved the entertainment during dinner by the wait staff.

We had room service breakfast several days and a sandwich another. Usually prompt and accurate, though after an excursion it took a bit longer. We also had breakfast at Lido a couple of times and also took in the chocolate extravaganza!

On the last day we visited the Red Frog Pub and had a great meal of appetizers and drinks on the lanai. The wait staff was excellent. Just be prepared to be on Caribbean time.

The sail-away party, the Red Frog Pub Caribbean party and the Latin party by the pool were all great fun.

Service all around was excellent. Our cabins were well cared for and all of the staff always called us by name. I would love to learn their secret of remembering all those names every week.

Disembarkation was a breeze. We waited in our cabin until our group was called and were able to get an elevator from 12 and get off the boat in about 5 minutes. We used a porter for our bags which cut down waiting in line.

All in all I would say this was one of my very favorite family vacations. It exceeded my expectations and I have cruised before. I can't wait for my next cruise so I need to get busy planning!

Carnival Magic Cruises to the Southern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Spa Balcony

8S12014
Quiet location, upgraded spa colors, roomy balcony, thicker robes, Elemis products.
Published 07/02/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Magic Review
Carnival Magic Cruises to the Southern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?