Crown Princess Cruise Review by Delboy17

Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: BF
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

some good some bad

We got a taxi to the port,cheaper than the charge for parking,and more convenient.Arrived about 1pm as we were told,different times depending on which deck you are on.It was very busy,long queues,took about an hour to get on the ship.Once aboard it was fine I knew where the cabin was from the online deck plans.The cabin was as we expected,adequate size,shower a bit cramped unless you are skinny.We were not very lucky with weather,the first couple of days were overcast,with choppy seas,some people were sick.We always use the self service restaurants,as we like to see what is on offer before choosing.The choice and quality generally quite good,some of the meat a bit tough.

All the staff we met were cheerful and helpful,apart from one sour faced barman,who never smiled or spoke.we took the soft drinks package,which covers sodas and non alcoholic cocktails.Alcoholic drinks are very expensive,(in my opinion),for example a US pint of draught lager is $7.76 (including tip),this equates to about £6.20 per.UK pint or about £11 per. litre.It might be duty free but certainly not profit free.By comparison I bought 2 litres of scotch in Gibraltar for £11.

There was a good mix of activities and entertainment,most people would find something they enjoyed,tastes vary and you can never please all the people,all the time.My personal favorite a musical duo that played in the Wheelhouse bar,called Allan and La Donna,the place was often packed,there are some videos of them on you tube,worth a look.

There were 7 ports of call,Cadiz and gibraltar I have been to before,but Malta,Venice,Koper,dubrovnik,and corfu were new to me.

We did not take any of the Princess excursions,preferring to do our own thing.In cadiz and malta we took open top bus tours,on sale right by the ship,they give headphones to plug in for a commentary,choice of languages and volume.You can hop on and off the bus where you like,and rejoin it later.We did a similar tour in Koper but not open top,lovely place,very clean,pretty,cheap drinks and food.Venice is beautiful but it was very hot,humid and crowded,long queues at places of interest,food and drinks expensive.I was looking forward to dubrovnik people had told me how nice it was.On the day it was a big disappointment,an example of how mass tourism can spoil things.There were 3 large ships moored where we were,and more nearby,the old town,with narrow streets and high walls was swamped,lots of coaches,shuttle buses,bad tempered drivers,the police were getting angry trying to keep things moving without success.With thousands of people milling about, many hot and irritable,we got on a shuttle bus back to the ship,and drowned our disappointment in the bar on the quay next to the ship,(drinks about 1/3 rd of ship prices.

Next was Corfu,spent an hour or two walking round the old town,and up to the top of the old fort,then took a boat trip for an hour,enjoyable.

The final stop was gibraltar,I have been here before so just did a bit of shopping,few beers and back to the ship.the weather was a bit overcast and stayed that way till we got near Southampton.

One issue which princess needs resolve is a problem towards the rear of the ship with vibration,if I had been in a cabin that was affected by this,I would have insisted on being moved,and if this was not possible I would got off at the first port of call,and flown home.

To sum up,reasonable value for money if you do not drink.

Publication Date: 07/03/13