Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by ifihadaboat: Very Impressed

Very Impressed

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

I hope to travel with Norwegian again. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and were very impressed with the crew of the Sun. They were gracious and competent, not overbearing nor inadequate. Our stateroom attendant, Katherine was kindly accommodating to our rather irregular schedule and she provided us with a delightful anniversary treat. Our room service delivery was always on time and the people bringing it were quiet and polite. I like the phone notification that it was on its way. The dining room(s) - wonderful. The menu satisfied all our needs, and our most frequent server, Angelito and his able assistant, Putu, in the Seven Seas - well they were just delightful. We feel as though we all became friends. Not to leave out the Four Seasons...Mylene was great, and she even got me a recipe for one of the salads that I found so delicious. The cruise director, Candi, kept us all entertained. Love that accent! Thanks to Down under Dave, for a fun Merengue dance lesson (but no More pie). Oh dear, I can't remember the other names, but everyone we encountered seemed genuinely happy to be there and to have us there, too. Ms. Bon, Guest Services Manager, has a very competent group working for her. But there is one exception: we were given green luggage tags when we should have been given lime. Consequently, our bags did not come home with us. No problem, the people at the Hospitality Center handled everything and the bags arrived via Federal Express two days later. In future, may I suggest that if there are no more lime tags, print some! Don't substitute with green.

It was an honor to gather with other Cruise Critic members and to meet the officers. Also, we enjoyed the Q&A with Captain Tommy and Mr. Jacobsen...very informative! All the entertainment was enjoyable, especially the musicians. We loved listening and dancing to Duo Domino, and the string ensemble was great! Pianist Listbarger - so accomplished. We are not "shoppers" but we were glad to attend Candi's talks about things to do in port. Thank you for that. Now, it is not that I have intentionally left out the Alaska stuff, but I wanted to concentrate on the ship and the crew. The glacier viewing was very exciting and we had ample opportunity to take it all in. It was everything that we had been told it would be and more! Smooth ride, great weather (who was in charge of that?) fabulous scenery. Wow and wow!

One suggestion for the next remodel: move the hairdryer! it was very inconveniently located, especially for a right handed user.

Thanks again for a wonderful cruise! The Norwegian Sun is a treasure! Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 8114

I choose an inside cabin because I like that it gets dark. In Alaska, that was very important. I don't think I would ever want a balcony, since there is plenty of deck space for enjoying, but I might be persuaded to have a larger room - especially for a longer cruise. The design was good, with plenty of storage space for everything, and our bags fit well under the bed. Many people on Cruise Critic suggest bringing a multi-outlet adapter, but it wasn't necessary for us. We travel simply. I definitely appreciate the small sofa. The lighting was quite adequate. I would have liked to get the room a little cooler, but we managed. No odors, no apparent mold, bed was reasonably comfortable (never like home) and pillows acceptable. Television worked well, but had limited options. That might have been a problem at sea, but on this cruise, the scenery is what we're all here for. I mentioned previously that the hair dryer in the bathroom is poorly located, and I would suggest changing that at the next remodel. It works fine, but using it while looking in the mirror - hardly possible.

Juneau was okay - did not really do much in the was of touring. Shopped a little in locally owned stores, and we learned a lot from a very friendly young lady who worked at the Ben Franklin. We bought Salmonberry Jam and a cap there, too! Also, we had a nice talk with a woman at her antique store. Seems she lived in Florida before moving back to Alaska. We exchanged hurricane stories!

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Ports are not the reason I cruise. That being said, Ketchican was a nice town. We arranged a float plane tour on our own. It was a beautiful way to see the area. We visited the Totem exhibit at Saxman Village on our own, too. Strolling around town was fun, and the bus system was easy to use. The Asylum was a great place to have an Alaskan Amber and rest!

Skagway gets a bit higher rating because they are working so hard to keep it looking in the "period" of the gold rush and early settlement. We enjoyed the walking tour guided by the National Park Service Ranger. Also, had some of the best fish and chips that I have ever had in the United States at The Station, next to the Morning Wood Hotel. (Got their tartar sauce recipe, too!)

Read 645 Skagway Reviews