Zaandam Cruise Review by staralite: A Bad Choice to see Alaska

A Bad Choice to see Alaska

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

I was exhausted from my trip due to the lack of sleep from the extremely warm room and bad beds. My body suffered in pain. The beds threw my body out of alignment. Both beds were worn out with a deep depression in the center and lopsided in our stateroom. HAL did not offer a solution to my problem. I have never been to any establishment with such worn out beds and not offering a solution. Walls were stained and I used pillows to separate the me from the walls. The room was very warm with poor ventilation. The AC was not working.

The food was ok. I did not care for the majority of their desserts. Even their vanilla ice cream did not even taste right to me. Overall service in dining was good. However, the service in the Rotterdam were slow at times.

I would avoid the shopping lectures on board. It was a waste of my time. You are better off sightseeing. The shopping they recommended were all tourist traps, esp. the jewelry stores using high pressured sales tactics. I More did not find any bargains as Dani claimed from the trunk sales, but overpriced jewelries. When I was in Effy, Dani, the shopping ambassador for the ship came in and for the longest time tried to pressure me into buying a flower like 14kt gold pendant with tiny rubies.They wanted about $5000 with their discount and I went to their website and it is being listed for $2895: http://www.effyjewelry.com/women/jardin-bloom-ruby-and-diamond-pendant-2-49-tcw.html. Stay away from these vultures.

This will be my first and last cruise with Holland America. Their response after the cruise was they update their ships every 2 years and offered me a 2 category upgrade with in my stateroom type. This will be my first and last cruise with them!!! Less

Published 07/01/13

Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X