Emerald Princess Cruise Review by skihowie: What happened to Princess?

skihowie
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Emerald Princess Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

What happened to Princess?

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Copenhagen

I am sailed 7 times in 10 years. I have sailed with Celebrity (a long time ago) and Royal (about 7 years ago).

All other cruises have been with Princess. I always thought that Princess was a bit better in every way.

While I do not know if other lines have improved or declined, I can say that Princess is declining. It seems like they are trying to save money and hoping we do not notice. Well, guess what-I do.

Let me start with the food- Mass produced food is difficult to stand out- I get it. I usually found something very good at every meals and often many things very good. This last cruise it was harder to find. There were still some very good choices at times, just not as many.

This ship itself, is still fine, although there are not enough activities to suit my taste. The rooms are adequate.

The friendly nature of the staff is still outstanding.

The entertainment however, on my cruise, was awful-and I am being kind here. More

The only worthwhile entertainment in 11 days was a cover band for the Beatles-who was great by comparison. A 35 minute set left us wanting more.

The cruise director and his 2 female helpers were nice people who should be in a different line of work. There- I was kind.

The ports were very good and seeing 7 countries in 11 days is just great.

There was a ventriloquist who was sooooooo baaaaaaaaaaad. Look him up online and he writes his own reviews and blocks you tube comments.

It seemed like the Carnival Company was trying to recoup some lost money from their mishaps. Less

Read more Emerald Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Emerald Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Emerald Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Dolphin A436

The cabin is a bit dated but still nice. The shower is very small. The steward was very good and we rewarded him for his excellent service. We were in the center of the ship and the ride was exceptionally smooth.

We walked all over this city in the brief time there and found nothing exciting.

Read 52 Aarhus Reviews

This is where the cruise started. We found Copenhagen to be a very nice city. It is colorful and has lots of nice neighborhoods. There are many canals and nice shopping and restaurants.
Of course, let us not forget pusher street.

Nice city.

Read 335 Helsinki Reviews

(3)

We never really got a feel for this city in the brief time we were there. Norway is a rich city, mostly due to oil. It is very expensive. There are beautiful parts of Norway, I did not get excited about Oslo.
The statues are very worthwhile.

Read 144 Oslo Reviews

What a pleasant surprise. We took the train to Rostok. It was a very nice city. We then spent time in Wamm and enjoyed that very much as well.

Private Tour

(5)

We toured with SPB tours which we booked ourselves. It was $300 each for 2 full days. They are a very well run company. We had 2 different guides and each was excellent. They had a lot of tours going on at a time of extreme traffic because of an economic forum, and they handled it great.
The guides know their history-for sure.
The museums and Cathedrals are nothing short of amazing.

Also, a very nice city.