Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Raffa Bunny: Great Ship and even better people!

Raffa Bunny
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Great Ship and even better people!

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

This was the second cruise my husband and I have taken, both with Celebrity. The previous one was 5 years ago on the Millennium. Lets start with the positives of which there were many. Firstly our cabin. I was worried that the ocean view stateroom would be a bit of a let down after having had a balcony on our previous cruise but in fact it was even better! It was a good size and we were right at the front of the ship overlooking the helicopter pad. The window was really big and provided us with fantastic views as we sailed into each port. Our attendant kept the room pristine. The ship itself was beautiful and cleanliness was an obvious priority. There was plenty of room to sit and relax but one tip I'd pass on is to get up early and "reserve" a sun-lounger, especially on the at-sea days. One day I wandered around for ages trying to find two loungers together but there were towels left on most of the unoccupied ones, despite Celebrity's policy of removing them after 30 minutes this More didn't appear to happen. I enjoyed the food but feel it's not quite up to the standard it was on our last cruise. The waiters were pleasant, very attentive and entertaining. The whole of the staff/crew were wonderful, I could not fault them, with the exception of one miserable chef (?) serving in the poolside Aqua cafe. Loved all the ports, some more than others but it was very hectic. Definitely needed those days at sea to have a rest and recharge our batteries.

OK so there were one or two disappointments but before I have a moan let me say that overall we had a terrific time and there are always going to be things that could be improved. I think the worst thing was the room service. We ordered food four times, once for breakfast and the others were later in the evening. The breakfast order we received was not ours, the other food was luke warm or cold when it arrived and had things missing. Not good. The entertainment was great sometimes, usually in the theatre e.g. the comedian, the circus performers, the violinist, the Beatles act, but also not very good at times. Entertainment at various locations around the ship was fine to begin with but then these musical acts just repeated the same repertoire time and time again, which became quite annoying. I seem to remember on our previous cruise that free drinks such as tea, coffee and juice were available in more places. It's not always clear where they are and sometimes they're a good walk away so you end up paying for a drink instead. We looked at the drinks packages and they are all VERY expensive.

So not too much to complain about. All in all we had a fantastic time and would return again in a heartbeat but sadly it will be at least another 5 years before we can save up enough to go again. : ( Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Ocean View Sunrise Deck (7) 8104

Good size, much bigger than expected. No balcony but this was not a problem as we had a large window which gave us a great view as we sailed into each port. Some noise from the anchor I think, as we came into each port but not really a problem. Loved this cabin.

What a wonderful surprise this place was. I'd never heard of it and had no idea what to expect but I rate it as one of the most beautiful places I have been and it was the highlight of our cruise (even more than Venice!)
The old walled city is very picturesque. The cafes and shops beautiful. Outside of the walled city, we took the cable car up the mountain and went to the Panorama Restaurant, which I can wholeheartedly recommend. Lovely waiters who wrap you in a fluffy blanket if you're sitting outside and get a bit chilly and lovely food, reasonably priced. The view from our table over Dubrovnik was stunning. We would both like to return there for a longer stay.

Florence was a lovely place to walk around and look at the beautiful architecture. Bit disappointed that we did not get to see the original David statue as it is housed in a museum which had an enormous queue. We did get to see the copy though and it looks just the same on our photos.

Not impressed at first as we just walked around the shops and market stalls. Some were lovely but some quite tacky and the places scruffy. Hardly saw a canal! The evening changed my mind. Had a meal in a restaurant next to the canal and right by the Rialto bridge. Very romantic. Later discovered St. Marks Square in the evening is magical with quartets playing classical music and competing to attract attention to their respective cafes. The next day we ventured away from the tourist areas and it was very beautiful. We did get lost and had to get a private boat/taxi to get us back to St. Marks Square so we didn't miss our shuttle boat back to the ship. He said it would be 30 euros but we said 20 and he accepted! This worked out great as we had previously decided not to pay the extortionate 80 euros to go in a gondola but this boat/taxi was brilliant. The driver took us through the side canals, alongside the gondolas. He chatted to us and told us all about Venice.

Read 504 Venice Reviews

I'd not heard of Villefranche before . It was a pretty little place. Not too much to see so we got a train from there to Monte Carlo where we spent most of the day. Some of our fellow cruisers went to Nice from there and said they enjoyed it.