Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by lmd4941977

Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: 2A

Oldtime disabled cruiser with kids and grandkids along

DH is disabled, we only cruise from Cape Liberty and Baltimore because I can drive to those locations within 4 hours. Baltimore is the easier of the two for disabled travelers.

The ship was clean and quite new looking for an old ship. It was not very accessible for DH's large wheelchair. The outside doors were hard to open and narrow. Except for deck 10 and 4 all the floors were carpet which makes it difficult to push the wheelchair. There were many hills to climb.

MDR food was good, the staff was great. There were 8 adults and 6 kids in our family group. Everyone enjoyed the food but me. I stuck to the same simple meal every nite. Fruit, soup, salad, beef. I just can't get into the fancy stuff. I don't like sauces on my food.

Buffet was the worst I ever had. No lettuce on the salad bar? What were they thinking! The service was terrible (except for the hard working omelet and pasta workers) It was very difficult running around trying to get what DH wanted at several different areas. Waiting to be served by distracted people who tried to ignore your presence. DH wanted ham at the carver station. The lady looked at me and walked away, never to return. After making several omelets, the omelet man finally carved ham for me. The rest of DH's food was cold. A buffet should be self served. The eggs were always wet. The vegetables at lunch were always "mixed vegetables" Who eats these! Where was the fresh salad and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. How about snow peas or brussel sprouts. Mixed vegetables...YIKES!

The only activity DH can participate is the slot machines, he hated the new electronic machines. Where are the fun simple machines? We would need a course in slot machines useology to figure out how they pay. I gave his casino funds to the grand kids for shopping in Bermuda. He did not want to use any of the machines.

We don't cruise for the food. I love being on the ocean, visiting fun places and not having housework. It is the only easy vacation I can do with DH.

I have a lift chair delivered to our cabin by Special Needs at Sea. He can't get in and out of bed and sleeps in the lift chair. The room attendant was not helpful with rearranging the room to accommodate the lift chair. I need a door stop to get in and out of the room while pushing the wheelchair, I ask for one but it kept disappearing! Seems like a small request.

I had a great time. Bermuda is special. Horseshoe Bay was the best. I can't wait for my next cruise in September to Canada.

Publication Date: 06/29/13