Silver Shadow Cruise Review by VaVintner: Beautiful birthday celebration cruise

Beautiful birthday celebration cruise

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Other

My cruise started in Anchorage. Boarding ship was seamless and since I happened to be the only person boarding at that moment, I was escorted aboard by one of the ship's officers. Lunch was in progress so I opted for the restaurant - which on embarkation day is always less crowded because some people are not aware it's open. A gathering was held for solo travelers the first evening - there were 8 of us. For the remainder of the cruise, I was always well taken care of and seated with others for meals. My butler was very cordial and competent. He chatted the first day and he made note of my preferences which were adhered to the remainder of the cruise The food and service were excellent. I was amazed that so many of the crew and staff knew me by name almost from the first day. I celebrated my birthday during this cruise. My cabin was decorated with balloons and a Happy Birthday banner and later that evening when I returned to my suite, there was a very tasty chocolate cake with a note More signed by the Master of the Shadow wishing me a wonderful day.

Since we were a smaller ship we were able to get much closer to the glaciers to witness some awesome scenery. The Cruise Director narrated the glacier excursions which was informative. The other tours arranged by the ship were all well organized and always on time.

This was my 4th cruise with Silversea and I must say, it was every bit as nice as the others. It really surpassed my expectations.

Disembarkation went like clockwork. I arrived at the Vancouver airport with a couple of hours to spare. I'm already thinking about another Alaska cruise. Less

Read more Silver Shadow cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Silver Shadow Review >>

Cabin review: Silver Shadow Midship Veranda Suite Deck Five 616

Cabin 616 was perfect for an Alaska cruise. Most of the time we docked on the Port side so you see all the activity. Good closet space, Very large bathroom. Nice sitting area.

Most cruise ships don't use Anchorage, they use Seward to save time. Anchorage is very easy since it is so small. The taxi takes you right up to the gangway.