MSC Splendida Cruise Review by hen302: We had a splendid time

We had a splendid time

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

We took this cruise after having to make alternative arrangements when our European river cruise was cancelled. So, it was somewhat of a surprise that we ended up on the Splendida, but we were very impressed and settled into the routine of a different type of cruise quite well.

Embarkation was OK. Being Aussies, we are used to more orderly queuing, but hey, we were in Rome, so...

We did the online checkin so the whole process was pretty quick.

Went to our balcony cabin and were very impressed. Good size, with mirrors that gave the effect of being even larger than expected. Balcony was great. Definately enough room for both us and our luggage.

Meals were OK. I dont like buffets, but my hubby prefers them, particularly for breakfast, as the muesli and other continental offerrings are very sweet in the dining room. The buffet is OK, but with lots of kids (and adults) handling food I prefer to decrease the risk of any gastro virus by eating in the More dining room. The food was generally good and I didnt have any dish that I did not like. Not gourmet, but certainly value for money and the service was fine in the dining room.

We did the drinks package and certainly got our money's worth. Very impressed that I could get my gin and tonic and cointreau included, as well as beer and wine.

Service was good in the bars and the staff very friendly, some with great senses of humour. Very enjoyable.

We took only one excursion, in Tunisia, and that was OK considering the challenges that face the country and the under-resourced, and very new, tourist industry.

The entertainment was OK, and even though it was mostly in Italian and French, we got the gist of it and it was enjoyable. The only thing that was negative and really annoying was the Cruise Director who spent far too much time introducing the entertainment (we think he just loved the sound of his own voice, in many different languages). We really werent there to see him.

Disembarkation was great and very easy. I was feeling sick on the final morning and after a phone call to reception, was allowed to stay in the cabin until just before disembarkation.

Overall, we were impressed. Travelling with a number of different nationalities was fun and we did not feel excluded or marginalised at all. Certainly happy to cruise with MSC again. Less

Read more MSC Splendida cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Splendida Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Splendida Superior Balcony Piero Della Francesca Deck

Good cabin, and certainly spacious enough. Very clean and well maintained.