Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by erickolmstead

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by erickolmstead
Enchantment of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Member Name: erickolmstead
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: FS
See More About: Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Royal Family Suite #8166 Enchantment of the Seas

Ok- let's start at the beginning....I originally called RCCL to book two Owner's Suites on the Enchantment of the Seas as I was planning a guys weekend getaway. There were originally 4 of us sailing, so I needed two rooms as the Royal Family Suite required 5 to book. I asked the phone representative if the Owners Suite had the king bed that spilt to become two twins (like the Grand Suite does). I was told that the Owners Suite had the beds that spilt, so I booked two rooms. Upon YouTubing the suite it appeared as though the bed was unable to split as the frame in the video appeared to be solid. I promptly called RCCL back and had them verify. Of course they had made a mistake and they in fact do not split apart as in the Grand Suite. They offered us two Grand Suites with less room and no discount for their inaccurate information. Oh well, so anyways one of our friends decided to back out so we were down to three. I called back to RCCL to change our reservation and they offered us the Royal Family Suite #8166 even though we only had three people and it was cheaper then buying two Grand Suites.

A few days before we set sail we received an email from the concergie introducing him and asking us if we were interested in one of the cabannas as those were reserved for the Suite Guests, but there were only 14 of them and they tend to sell out, so if we wanted one we had to email him fast. I responded within 4 hours of his email asking to reserve one for us. We did not receive a response and figured as much because things are crazy for the crew as there is a quick turnover on a 3 night sailing.

Fast forward to check-in

At check-in we were told that suite guests have priority boarding and disembarking as well as private areas to onboard to have a few drinks as soon as we board.....wrong. They MIGHT have had it, but no one knew where it was and the concerige lounge was empty and there was no bartender.

Speaking of bartenders....if you go on RCCL's website under "Plan a Cruise" and select "Staterooms" then select Suites you will find a link to the "Enhanced Program for Suite Guests" that link describes an "Honor Bar" that is self-service in the concerige lounge. That is NOT true! The free drinks are only offered from 5-830pm and it is not an honor bar when you can make your own drinks!

Our First Night

We walked into our Suite and it was exactly what we expected.....definitely reserve an aft room on the suite because it is the largest balcony on the ship (bigger then the Royal Suite and the other Royal Family on the side of the ship). Since we had three people we asked the stateroom attendant for 3 lounge chairs. He said it would take him a minute because everyone was still boarding and I said take your time I just need it by tonight. I am a VIP in the Casino Royale, so I went down there to introduce myself and get our free drinks down there. I met with the casino host and she was at first awesome. We got our drinks and told her that we would be back as the casino was still docked. We walked around the ship and ate at the WindJammer, which is like every WindJammer we ever ate at on RCCL....ok food, but the first meal sucks! We got back to the room and noticed the extra lounge chair wasn't there and we asked again. We left back down for the Casino and enjoyed a few hours of playing Blackjack before going upstairs to the club. The DJ was great! We partied hard the rest of the night before going back to the room. Still no lounge chair

Day 2

Our first morning we called room service expecting to be able to order off of our "exclusive" menu offered to suite guests. NOPE! We couldn't order half of the things on it because they were "out" of it...now it is day two at roughly 830am...how are you out of anything? We ordered pancakes and French toast and some bacon which was brought up in about 30 minutes. Room service knock and our food is promptly laid out on our balcony. We asked were the syrup was for the pancakes and French toast and he says I'm sorry but the dining room isn't open until 9 and that's were they get the syrup from so it was unavailable, but I could go down to the WindJammer and get some myself.

Our state room attendant comes in and I ask him once again for a lounge chair and he says, OK I can get you one. An IPad is provided in the suite as a courtesy so you don't have to go down to the computer lounge, which was pretty convenient, but you still have to pay for any online charges. In the morning the IPad started acting funny and I called Guest Services to see if they had another one to replace it with as I needed to check my bank account before I left the ship to go shopping. I was told that they did not know if they had any more to replace it, but someone would be up to our room to fix it shortly. We waited for over an hour for someone to come and we just gave up and left the ship. We leave to explore Nassau, which by-the-way only do your shopping there and if you have plans to go to Atlantis do that, but if you are planning on renting a jetski or doing any watersports DON'T the locals say you have 15 minutes, but they pull you in at 10...I've timed them and when you try and argue they go into the I don't comphrend mode. Save your water sports for CoCo Cay...it is actually run by RCCL and you won't get price haggled and you actually get what you pay for. So I get back on the ship and call the concergie to set-up for tomorrow as we were sailing to CoCo Cay and I had reserved a cabana. He says I'm sorry I don't have you on my list! He didn't seem apologetic and I asked him why he didn't respond to my email. He said I never emailed him back. I said I have the email in my hand if he would like to see it? He says well how come you didn't find me when you got on board? I stated I went to the concerige lounge and it was empty. His response was that the cabanas are completely book and there is nothing he can do about it. I said why don't you look at the time that I sent you my reply and if everyone booked before me...then fine I wouldn't complain, but if someone book after me (and suite guests have priority) then you need to remove them from the list and figure something out with them. He says no and that's obscured. I told him I would have imagined that you would make an attempt to come to my suite as there aren't that many on board. He said there are 22 suites on board and he has no time to come door to door to meet and greet. Really? I got pissed and hung up. My lounge chair is also still not there. I am pissed.....no IPad, no special menu, no self-service , no cabana, no lounge chair. Where is the "enhanced services"?

I went downstairs to complain about all this to guests services and was speaking with the director, she was disgusted by the level of service that we received on our trip...regardless if we had a suite or not. Our lounge chair was immediately brought to our room and room service made us an amazing chocolate covered strawberries plate. She offered 50% off our current booking as a credit on our next RCCL cruise. Okay, that made up for a lot of things but really we would have preferred to have the services originally. She also was able to get us a "clamshell" on CoCo Cay, but couldn't do anything about the cabana's. The IPad situation she cleared up right away as there was about 100 of them in her office. I asked why I Just didn't get a new one and she said I don't know we just ask that you turn your old one in...well WFT why did we wait in our room for so long? She said I'm sorry but no one services them here, so no one would have come to your room.

Day 3

We wake up in Coco Cay and it was beautiful! I think RCCL should bypass Nassau all together and just make a cruise going there! We were about to get off the ship when our room attendant comes to us and says, so you complained about me to guest services huh? Our jaws dropped! We said yes we did and explained why. He seemed very angry and down right snotty, and we felt completely embarrassed as we didn't mean for anyone to get into trouble...but jeez after 2 days of asking for a chair and its only a 3 day cruise...c'mon now! We promptly left the ship after the confrontation and tendered out to Coco Cay. We didn't know where the clamshells were so we went to the cabana area and asked. As we were waiting we saw people checking into their cabana's that were not suite guests. We asked them how they got a reservation and they said they didn't...they just asked when they got on the ship! The concerige was a liar! He skipped my email and never looked at it! We made the best of Coco Cay anyways and relaxed in the sun for a few hours before heading back to the ship. We called guest services when we got back as one of our friends came aboard with a broken ankle (happened before the cruise) and asked for a wheelchair to be brought to our room at 8.

Overall, I do not think the Royal Family Suite is worth the extra expense vs. 2 balcony rooms unless you have 8 people, but if the services department sucked with 3 people I couldn't imagine 8 people! With this experience I don't think I will be sailing with RCCL anytime soon!

Publication Date: 06/27/13
Read the Bahamas ports review by erickolmstead
More Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Reviews