Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by fishforfun

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by fishforfun
Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: fishforfun
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: D3
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        3-6 4.0
        13-15 5.0
        16+ 4.0

A really fast pace

Spent a couple of days in Barcelona prior to boarding Liberty of the Seas and really enjoyed the city I would recommend Barcelona to most anyone it is very easy to get around in the city and there are several very nice museums and of course the Familia Sacarada is a work of art that is a must see.

Embarkation was a breeze we are Platinum Crown and Anchor member and all of us were on board in less than 20 minutes and all three rooms were ready. We had lunch in the Windjammer which was not real crowded the food was typical buffet style but I like a good salad and they had just about anything you would want on a salad. While on the food subject let me finish my thoughts about the dinning side of the our trip. First the service was exceptional in the main dinning room and very good in the other venues--The Promenade Cafe offers a lite lunch or afternoon snack and the Windjammer always has a wide variety on offer. Dinning in the main dinning room in the evening was ok but not great always found something on the menu but felt the choices were limited no tough decisions about what to have.

The Ports we visited were all very scenic and very interesting however 5 ports in a row most of which require a little travel from the port which made for very long days was nearly exhausting. I certainly don't know how it could be accomplished but an extra sea day in the middle would have been very welcome. The other effect the long days had was to curtail the evening programs. First day out our dinner ran through the only show of the evening We did manage the Ice show on the second night which is very good and saw a production show the third night and Saturday night fever which had very good production vales nd a talented cast there was no show on night 4 and for the first time ever on a cruise I did not even attempt to see the show on the last night. We like the entertainment and felt a little disappointed that there was not a show each evening.

This was our first trip on one of the Freedom class ships but we are very familiar having sailed 4 times on the Voyager class. Liberty is a fine ship beautifully decorated and in very good shape one issue is that they added about 200 cabins without a single extra elevator I usually use the stairs myself but most of the rest of the family complained about the wait and crowds on the elevators. This is a great ship for children and teens lots of activities our 4 year old was absolutely taken with the DreamWorks characters and the Splash Pool was a real winner. There did seem to be a problem in keeping non toilet trained children out of the pool and I observed several people arguing with the staff about not allowing children wearing diapers in the pool I can't imagine what they were thinking.

A last observation there was a large group of gay men on the cruise which I don't have a problem with except that on an ongoing basis there were public displays of affection that would not have been tolerated from heterosexual couples. These activities were common in the Solarium and even in the elevators. RCI proudly announces that they have a code of behavior that they expect passengers to observe but apparently it did not include very offensive behavior practiced by this group. It is just not compatible with 4 year olds and younger teens. We didn't let it spoil our vacation but if RCI is going to announce that they have a policy about that type of behavior then we need to see them enforce it.

The debarkation process was probably the easiest I ave ever experienced we planned on leaving the ship just before 9 and with a 15 minute wait in a line for a cab we were away from the ship in less than 4 minutes. A very fine if fast paced trip.

Publication Date: 06/29/13