“Great First Cruise”

davidgv
Member Since 2013
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating

This isn't an hour by hour or even a day by day account of our cruise - rather a reflection of what it felt like to be taking our first ever cruise on the Oasis. Before we left I thought it was going to be tacky, loud and over the top - it was all those things but it was also wonderful, imaginative and full of possibilities.

Our check in was quick and efficient - we arrived at the terminal at about 11.45 and were onboard at about 12.30.

Our balcony stateroom, 9218 was larger than I had expected - plenty of room for two - I guess space would be tight for more than two. After reading CruiseCritic for a couple of months before the cruise I had a number of concerns about the stateroom itself - would there be room to walk around? Would the shower be uncomfortably small (I'm a big 3xl guy)? Would the balcony be unusable because of smokers next door? None of these fears were realised - we loved the room, the en suite and best of all our balcony.

Entertainment - all the shows were excellent - particularly Hairspray and Frozen in Time.

Food was very good in all the venues we tried - the Main Dining Room for breakfast and dinner, the Solarium for breakfast and lunch - the Windjammer for dinner once, the Park Cafe for breakfast on the last morning before we left the ship. Having read CruiseCritic I was not expecting the food to be particularly good but I have to say I was very impressed and I can honestly say we didn't have a bad meal on the ship at all.

Ports and excursions were reasonably good - we just walked into Nassau on Sunday morning - not a hugely impressive town - the Pirate museum was fun for half an hour. On St Thomas we took the 5 Star Tour - not much 5 star about it really - perhaps 3 star - the best bit was the two hours on the beach. On St Marteen we too the Tiki Hut Snorkeling Trip - we really enjoyed it and it was the best of the three port stops.

This was our first experience of a cruise holiday - so admittedly we don't have anything to compare it with - but we really enjoyed every day and we're already looking forward to another cruise when we've saved up some money!

Oasis of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

D79218
Plenty of room and storage for two guests - more than two might be tight - the en suite was good - the shower was small but of adequate size for me (3xl guy) - plenty of hanging space. We loved the balcony which was bigger than we expected. Some people have commented about the difficulty of accessing the power points (outlets) but there is now a set of three power points on top of the vanity unit - I guess these have been retro fitted as the original points under the unit are still in place. The AC was excellent.Jack kept our room clean and made us a lovely rabbit and snake!

Port

Straw Market was poor - just the same things that were in the shops on the dockside - save your time and just visit these then get back to enjoying the ship - we wish we had.

Read 4,127 Nassau Reviews

Took the Tiki Hut Snorkelling Trip - loved it - felt safe - easy access to the sea via steps not a ladder - friendly and efficient staff - a great excursion - best of the three!

Read 3,325 St. Maarten Reviews
Port

More of a three star tour to be honest - visit to the highest point on the Island for a drink and the inevitable gift shop - then to St Magen's beach - the best bit of the tour - it was lovely - I'd just get an excursion that goes to the beach for as long as possible.

Read 3,414 St. Thomas Reviews
Published 06/27/13
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Oasis of the Seas Review
Oasis of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?