Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by davidgv

Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Great First Cruise

This isn't an hour by hour or even a day by day account of our cruise - rather a reflection of what it felt like to be taking our first ever cruise on the Oasis. Before we left I thought it was going to be tacky, loud and over the top - it was all those things but it was also wonderful, imaginative and full of possibilities.

Our check in was quick and efficient - we arrived at the terminal at about 11.45 and were onboard at about 12.30.

Our balcony stateroom, 9218 was larger than I had expected - plenty of room for two - I guess space would be tight for more than two. After reading CruiseCritic for a couple of months before the cruise I had a number of concerns about the stateroom itself - would there be room to walk around? Would the shower be uncomfortably small (I'm a big 3xl guy)? Would the balcony be unusable because of smokers next door? None of these fears were realised - we loved the room, the en suite and best of all our balcony.

Entertainment - all the shows were excellent - particularly Hairspray and Frozen in Time.

Food was very good in all the venues we tried - the Main Dining Room for breakfast and dinner, the Solarium for breakfast and lunch - the Windjammer for dinner once, the Park Cafe for breakfast on the last morning before we left the ship. Having read CruiseCritic I was not expecting the food to be particularly good but I have to say I was very impressed and I can honestly say we didn't have a bad meal on the ship at all.

Ports and excursions were reasonably good - we just walked into Nassau on Sunday morning - not a hugely impressive town - the Pirate museum was fun for half an hour. On St Thomas we took the 5 Star Tour - not much 5 star about it really - perhaps 3 star - the best bit was the two hours on the beach. On St Marteen we too the Tiki Hut Snorkeling Trip - we really enjoyed it and it was the best of the three port stops.

This was our first experience of a cruise holiday - so admittedly we don't have anything to compare it with - but we really enjoyed every day and we're already looking forward to another cruise when we've saved up some money!

Publication Date: 06/27/13