Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by sarajoon1

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by sarajoon1
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: sarajoon1
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
        7-9 1.0

NCL Breakaway
The Breakaway was a big disappointment in terms of any "wow" factor in the decor and ship layout.. the Pools were so small, the Live music boring, seldom any organized poolside activities except couple of Kid games where from all the kids very very few got to participate in. The Decor of the ship was very plain. the Cleanliness of the ship was excellent and impressive but the restaurants' decor, ambiance, staff, all lacking any "wow" factor. The Casino's low ceiling made you want to GAG from smell of smoke so bad, we had to detour each time to get thru it.

The professional shows were EXCELLENT (burn the floor, rock of ages and Circus) but the rest were so all over the place that it was impossible to get organized and to get to experience them. And the big screen? what a waste!! really? except for the one good movie a day, you could not put any other interesting shows/movies/info on the screen???

The Youth program was an absolute disaster with 4 hrs closure each day!?!? our Kids (8,9&9) REFUSED to go to the kids center.. they were stuck in same room and activities as the much much younger kids and not allowed upstairs to use any of the games. We had to beg them to stay at Kids center even for an hour!We missed several shows because of this.

The Specialty restaurant's service was excellent but food was SOO plain - I'm still trying to figure out what I ate in place of "lamb chops" and where the "Truffle" in the Truffle fries went?? Some restaurants had almost the same menu and let me not even get started at the Kosher food my friend was served - I wouldn't feed it to my dogs! She had to eat Salmon and veggies the rest of the trip. The buffet dessert?!? unless we had all lost our taste buds, we all swore it was the most tasteless desserts we've ever had!!

Days at Sea it was impossible to find open pool chairs!!! we had to go around the ship 3-4 times to find single open chairs because almost Half of the chairs were "reserved" with towels and no one on them for hours. When we mentioned it to staff around the pool they just shouldered it off and said nothing they can do. It's not supposed to be your guest's job to enforce your rules of "no reserving the chairs for more than an hour"!!!

Then there is the Nickle and Diming on EVERYTHING!!! Soft drinks, specialty restaurants, internet, Games (Bowling, arcade). I spent $270 on Liquor in the shop and on pickup day I was told no one can help me get the boxes to my room!! a single small female and the staff just stood there like idiots arguing with me that I need to pickup by 6 pm and they could NOT deliver the boxes to my room or lend me a cart!! But of course I could "BUY" a Cart if I wanted one!! that's just LAME and BAD SERVICE!!! shame on you! Thank god for 2 awesome New Yorker guys stepping in and helping me carry the boxes to my room!

Then there was the excursion desk - we specifically asked about the Hamilton Street fest and the description given to us was COMPLETELY INACCURATE!!! the Street "fest" was a total Joke!! there was nothing except for couple of drummers and lame costumed dancers running thru a SINGLE BLOCK distance and then leaving!!! we were told there would be music, dancing, limbo, family entertainment.. a JOKE! My strong advice: take public transportation instead. They all go to same destinations and you don't regret spending all that money on lame excursions.

OMGGGGG the security and curfew on kids is a BIG JOKE!!! Top deck forward "Cocoon" chairs were hijacked by teens having SEX every late Night!!! adult couples couldn't even take a late night stroll up there without running into naked kids in the Cocoons!!! when we told security about it the 2nd night on ship, NOTHING.. still every night same groups of DRUNK teens taking turns at the Canopy beds having sex!!! I know it's not staff's job to baby sit teens but it should be your job keeping them from making the other guests feeling completely uncomfortable!!

Another point I need to make... our out of town friends and all the kids were a HUGE Fan of Carlos bake shop and a BIG reason why they wanted to check it out on the Breakaway!!! the Bake Shop was CLOSED for most of the cruise... at least EVERY TIME we went there.. due to some repairs!?!? really? the kids were so disappointed!

overall, I think I am going to skip NCL for my future cruise or at least make sure I only go on NCL when the Price is WAY better since the experience is mediocre!!

Publication Date: 06/27/13