Star Princess 4

“Breathtaking and Beautiful Alaska!”
Cruise review of Star Princess

PattiRA
Member Since 2013

Overall Member Rating

I want to give all the positives first: the weather was beautiful (layer your clothing) & the scenery was stunning!! I believe that a balcony or suite is in order for Alaska--we had a balcony & could sit out and enjoy the breathtaking scenery. We had Michael Modzelewski a world reknown naturalist giving lectures on Alaska and narrating much of what we were seeing on board--it gave us a clear understanding of the beautiful & cold (brrrr!) state of Alaska including the natives that are still there. My husband and I both agree that he made our trip extra special! Food, service from staff and shows were pretty much typical for cruising.

Negatives: our balcony neighbor had ALL his large family visiting with him at 4 a.m. to enjoy the sights-every day. I am supposing they paid for cheaper rooms and used his balcony for viewing. They talked very loudly and we lost sleep over their family chatter. Coffee was aweful & had to upgrade to buy something drinkable--leaving More out of Seattle this was hard to believe with Starbucks and Seattle's Best readily available.

We took side trips at each port and all were very good except one--in Ketchikan we went to a Wildlife Preserve and it was not worth the money we paid. The walk as supposed to be a mile and it wasn't 1/8th of a mile & a very unprofessional guide--she showed us bear "scat" and fungus on trees. Who really cares? The side trips for Alaska are higher $$$ than most cruises we have been on. Alaska was on both of our "kick the bucket" lists and enjoyed it greatly. Princess Cruise Line did an overall good job & helped us accomplish our goals; which was to view wildlife-humpback whales, lots of Eagles, mother Seals with their pups and more....would recommend the ship & trip! Less

Star Princess Cruises to Alaska

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Balcony

BA10734
We were on the aft of the ship and would have preferred to be forward. Aft has most of the motion.

Mendenhall Glacier

It was an expensive tour of $200. per person!! It was whale watching & Mendenhall Glacier--we watched humpback whales doing "bubble feeding" and it was awesome. Many bald eagles too.

Whale Watching

Mendenhall Glacier was overpacked with tourists and we did no have a lot of time to really enjoy. There were so many buses for pick-up that I was panicking thinking I had missed ours. I spent more time trying to figuere out pick-up than enjoying the beautiful glacier. I tried to go into the visitor center and it was totally impossible.

Seaplane

Not worth it!! We walked about 1/8 mile with an overly talkative tour guide giving not much of information. She kept telling us that there was "bear skat" on the trail and fungus on the trees. Who really cares?? My husband kept hearing the zip-lines going overhead and asking why we were doing this. I complained to the cruise line & have never been on such a side trip.

Two days before leaving we stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Seattle--wonderful staff at hotel and the room had a view of the Space Needle. We went on a 3 hour City Tour
Read 387 Seattle Reviews

City Tour

Great over view of Seattle-only 2 short stops. The tour guide was very entertaining and informative.
Once we did this, we were able to go back and stay longer at the those sights. Would highly recommend for first time visitors as ourselves.

White Pass Scenic Railway

Really enjoyed the train ride and the tour guides gave the history of how & why the railroad was built. Lots of great sights, too.

Published 06/26/13

Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review

Star Princess Cruises to Alaska

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?