Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by jschlosbergs: Enjoyed myself but will pick another ship next time

jschlosbergs
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 2.5

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Enjoyed myself but will pick another ship next time

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We are an experienced cruising family with 3 children aged 14, 12 and 9. This is our 14th cruise and 6th visit to Bermuda. I read all the reviews on the Breakaway prior to leaving on 6/16 and nobody mentioned to bring my own conditioner. Only shampoo and shower gel is located in the shower stall. The reviews were not kidding when they mentioned how small the rooms are! We had two balcony rooms next to each other (not connecting) and it was like sleeping in a closet for a week. They are the smallest ship rooms I have ever stayed in. The balconies were also the smallest I ever had. Not only was the width smaller than most, but the depth was small too. Last Norwegian cruise, I was in the Haven on the Epic, so I am not sure what the regular balcony rooms were like on that ship. The Dawn had bigger staterooms. Unfortunately we didn't use our balcony much because our room was surrounded by smokers and when the door was open, the entire room smelled like cigarette smoke. I wish one side of More the ship was designated for smoking balconies. I have to say the bed was very comfortable. I had an issue with the pillows the first night, but they were changed by day 2. (Both the pillows and cases had a funky smell.) Cabin attendants were excellent and friendly! We are the type of family that do spend time in the room during the day, either changing clothes for the different activities, regrouping to decide what time to meet up again or retiring for a snooze after lunch. Due to the size of the rooms, we will choose a different ship next time we cruise to Bermuda, like the Celebrity Summit.

The food was excellent on the Breakaway! At times it could be very salty, but I always found a delicious entree. We ate in the Manhattan room most nights. Men must wear long pants to be seated, otherwise the family would have to eat at Savor, Taste or buffet. We didn't do specialty dining this time but found if you stick to ordering from the left side of the menu each night, you always had variety. (The right side of the menu was the same every night of the cruise in all of the main dining rooms, while each night the left side changed featuring 3 different appetizers and entree specials.) I was shocked that every time a family member ordered the NY strip steak, or other meat, it came perfectly cooked to our liking. The first night was lobster tail, and it was cooked perfectly, tender and sweet, but it was quite salty.

Although my 14 year old son loved Enterage, the teen hang out, my younger two disliked the kids club and said, "It was like a prison." Therefore my 12 and 9 year old hung out with us most of the time. We felt the kids club didn't have enough organized activities for their interest. The ship certainly had plenty of activities for them to do and kept them very busy. They loved the ropes course, and water slides. However you must be 100 lbs to do the free fall water slide which was the best one.

Bermuda was a blast! We snorkeled Church Bay and hiked to Gibbs Lighthouse. Only $2.50 for a ticket to walk up the 185 steps to the top. You could see the entire island! What a gorgeous view! Day 2, we went to Horseshoe Bay and Day 3 we took the ferry to St. George to snorkel Tobacco Bay where we saw an octopus along with beautiful large fish.

We booked our shows prior to cruising and enjoyed the entertainment. Rock of Ages was ok, we liked it on Broadway much better and we liked the movie with Tom Cruise and Alec Baldwin better too. Burn the Floor was amazing and the magician was ok, too much talking and joking with the audience and not enough magic. Comedy club was enjoyable if you like improv. We loved Dueling Pianos and Fat Cats which is the jazz club.

Disembarkation was the fastest and easiest ever. We got colored tags to be off the ship at 9:30, and we grabbed our bags and were out of Customs and on the street by 9:45 am.

The Breakaway was nice, had great food, but the kids club and rooms were not up to par with others. The shows were better on other ships too. Would I cruise Norwegian again? Definitely! Would I cruise the Breakaway again? Probably not, but glad I did it once. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 10894

Tiny stateroom and balcony, smallest I have ever encountered of my 15 cruises.