Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by buffygirl: CARNIVAL SPLENDOR- FUN TIME, GOOD FOOD & GREAT COMPANY!!!! Eastern Car

buffygirl
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

CARNIVAL SPLENDOR- FUN TIME, GOOD FOOD & GREAT COMPANY!!!! Eastern Car

Sail Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Other

Iam a 42yr old lady & I traveled with a first time cruiser, my pal Gerb. Embarkation in NYC was a breeze, no long lines to contend with. We each brought onboard a bottle of wine, bottled water and snackage ( YES!! THATS a word, My word!! LOL) consisting of pringles, cookies, candy etc. We brought them in our carry on without any problems.

As we entered the vessel, my senses were delighted with the beautiful PINK DECOR!! I loved it! Pink & black was the color theme of the splendor. I couldnt believe that for the next 8 days, I was goingt to live in my very own PINKALICIOUS PAD!!!

I surprised Gerb with a balcony room-Lido Deck- ( I know that my friend Scott wouldnt approve-LOL). We had originally booked an oceanview room, but I called Carnival a few weeks prior to our trip and recieved an upgrade!! SCORE!! We both loved the room-it was clean, and we had our very own private balcony. We saw some beautiful sunsets, drank wine & chatted while looking at the More beautiful ocean. The beds were comfortable & clean. NO BEDBUGS!! LOL. Also, I was concerned about the noise from the lido deck (pool, music, buffet dining area). From our room #9296, we heard NOTHING!! I was relieved!!! Our room was great. Close to the buffet & pool!!! I only had one issue during my trip, the TV wouldnt turn on so I called housekeeping and within 5mts, my Cabin Steward-Wayan, was there to help. He fixed a cable and changed the batteries in the remote- Problem resolved.

As far as service was concerned, Wayan was brilliant!!! A lot of the staff are people from other countries-Wayan is from Indonesia, and he is a hardworking, humble man. He gave us fresh towels every day, and when he saw us, he always greeted us with a smile. The staff onboard the Splendor were friendly and respectful.

The enrichment programs were very good. I participated in the "Thomas kinkade"-painter of light-seminar. It was very insightful. Mr. Kinkade was such a talented soul- they even displayed some of his works, which are truly incredibly beautiful. So glad I did this one.

The entertainment onboard was very good-the show dancers & singers were enthusiatic & fun. Their costumes were AMAZING!!! Full of color, feathers, sequines etc. I always found myself "seat dancing" and singing along. On the last sea day, there was the "Legends" show. Fellow passengers impersonated stars like- "Elvis", "Tina Turner", "Shania Twain", "Frank Sinatra". KUDOS to all these brave folks-they did a phenomenal job and it was a great finale!!!

The other entertainment onboard consisted of Comedians, cowboy rope dude-( sorry forgot his name) a magician. The standout Comedian was "AZEEM". way funny!! The highlight of the cruise were the bands that played throughout the ship. "Impromptwo" & the latin band were EXCELLENT!! These people could sing and they enjoyed being there. It was great just to sit down, drink a pina colada and listen to good music. We also went to the dance club "the Red Parrot", that was fun too. Good crowd-old & young folks. Never any problems. DJ was excellent and played all the current songs but would also do a lot of "old school" music which was awesome.

Me & Gerb enjoyed the buffet style dining which suited us just fine. It was a very relaxed, casual atmosphere and the food was good. I always found something to eat-chicken, beef, fish, salads, pasta, rice etc. The desserts were great-they offered various pastries & fresh fruit to satisfy every palet. On one particular evening, they offered the "Chocolate Extraveganza" which consisted of EVERYTHING CHOCOLATE!!!! It was GREAT!!! cakes, pies, ice cream & milkshakes too!! YUM!!

Gerb often ate from the "tandoori" (indian food), and he loved it. I wanted to try the "Mongolian Wok" station, but the lines were LONG!! The food looked really good though. They also had ice cream machines available-YUM!! But I was left wondering......where were all the toppings? No sprinkles, nuts, crushed oreo cookies. I remember when I sailed on the MIRACLE in 2010, all of those treats were available. It would have been nice to have a little something extra. Anyway, seating in the buffet dining area was plenty, however, the condition of the upholstery on the seats in somes areas was bad. They were stained and it looked gross. YUCK!!

We dined in the "Black Pearl" dining room on one evening. It was very nice, not gaudy. I dined on some fried chicken, mashed potatos and veggies. The chicken tasted terrible- like frozen TV dinner

fried chicken!! BARFF!! The dessert didnt impress me either. I had the molten chocolate cake, NOT TASTY!! It tasted very bland and not sweet. I was hoping for something like the "triple chocolate meltdown" from applebees. LOL-

The true dinner highlight for me was the specialty dining-"Pinnacle Steakhouse". At a cost of 35 dollars per person. Gerb enjoyed filet mignon and I enjoyed a tender, juicy ribeye steak. It was the BEST STEAK Ive EVER had!!!!!! The ambiance was elegant yet comfortable and we were served by some friendly ladies. They were a lot of fun. We had an appetizer, rolls, entree & a dessert. At one point, we were surprised by the Chef!!!!! He came out to greet us and thanked us for coming. Awesome!!

The shore excursions were great. Puerto Rico was hot and we did the "behind the walls" tour of Old San Juan. In St. Thomas I did the St. Johns Historic tour & also toured the ruins of an old sugarmill plantation. We saw so many beautiful beaches, it was absolutely BREATHTAKING!!! I loved this tour.

Grand Turk was a day of fun & sun. We just relaxed on the beach and Gerb did a lot of snorkeling. It was beautiful.

All in all my trip was great!! We didnt sweat the small stuff, and we appreciated the beauty of the ocean and just breathed........aaaaahh. We made new friends onboard- Ms. Charlene & Miss Chante from Queens. They were a blast to hang out with!!!! Hope to see them again on a future cruise!!!!

Remember, you can have good food, fun times, but what really counts is the company you keep!! Gerb-thank you for a great cruise pal!!! Happy Cruising!! Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Lido 9296

Clean. The balcony was amazing! offered us some peace & quiet.

Nice beach, aqua blue waters, soft sand. Great place to relax and unwind- A lot of water adventures available on the beach ( fees apply) We paid 20 dollars each for a fun filled water adventure. We sat on a raft which was attached by rope to the rear of the speedboat. We were jumping over waves and the faster the speedboat was going, the more we were jumping over the waves. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

Walking Tour of Old San Juan

We did the "behind the walls" walking tour- amazing!! Our tour guide was excellent-Noemia. She was very informative and knew her history. we visited the San Cristobal fortress- the views atop the fortress overlooking the sea are fantastic!!! NOT to be missed!!

St. John Tour

I took a ferry ride from st thomas to St Johns. The historical tour was excellent-saw the ruins of an old sugarmill plantation. The beach views were BREATHTAKING!!!! Just beautiful.