Carnival Pride Cruise Review by kcellup: Proud to have sailed the Pride!!

kcellup
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Proud to have sailed the Pride!!

Sail Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Baltimore

Embarkation (Baltimore)- Was a breeze! Despite receiving the "do not come until 1:30" email, we decided to get to get there around 11:30. We were on the boat by 12:15, no delay at all.

Decor and Layout-

Some people complain about the nude paintings onboard, but honestly we were more offended by the desecration of the art rather then the content (scratched out on almost every elevators, etc.) Previously we have cruised on the Norwegian Dawn, and felt that the pride had lower ceilings and the general feel was that the boat was easy to get around. My wife liked that it didn't feel like you were walking for miles to get from one area to another.

Stateroom-

We had an Interior Room w/ Obstructed View French Door (4k) and we actually had one in-between lifeboats, which seems like the only ones I would think are worth it. We had a very nice view, but both decided that the next time we cruise, we would get a balcony. Our room steward, Num, was great and More remembered our names after the first time she met us, and made sure to greet us every time she saw us. The room itself was nice, and the bathroom was actually larger than we expected.

Dining-

Let me start off by saying that we do not cruise for the food. We eat (a lot) but do not pretend to be food critics when on a boat. We agreed that the food was good, not great, but good enough to never discourage us from eating a meal in any of the dining areas. I compared the quality to be similar to an Applebee's (if you go you will find something you like, but probably not your favorite meal of your life). The exception to this would be the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (my wife had one almost every night of the cruise, and part of why she wants to cruise with Carnival again!) and the Grand Marnier Souffle (my favorite, just wished it was an everyday option like the WCMC). We also ate a night at the Steakhouse, it was good, but I ordered my steak MR, it was much closer to the rare side than the medium side, and upset my stomach for quite awhile, so I would suggest not ordering anything lower than Medium.

Entertainment-

It took us a while to learn of the enjoyment of other activities besides the casino, but we were glad that we did! We would highly suggest taking part in the different games and trivias, even if you think you will not do well you may do better then you would think! We ended up with two Ships on a Stick trophies! The staff on the cruise were great, always excited and quite funny! Was kind of disappointed with the big shows at night in the Taj Mahal. We saw the Around the World show and found it cheesy and a very stereotypical representation of the countries they demonstrated. We liked that we had the opportunity to see four different comedians and went to the shows whenever possible!

Service-

We loved the service. Everyone always had a smile and said hello. We requested the same Waiter (Augustus) in the MDR whenever we ate there he was great! We established a favorite bartender and casino dealer, but really everyone was great, no complaints!

Ports-

Grand Turk - Our first port we got off and looked around the shops and general port center, but it was crowded and we were looking for a more relaxed area, so we went to Jack's Shack. What a gem! We loved the food, local beers, and spent the entire time relaxing at the bar and chatting up the part owner/bartender Janet, about life on the island (we were dreaming about retirement there, lol).

Half Moon Cay - BEAUTIFUL! We had booked a Private Cabana... BEST $250 EVER SPENT!! Not only are you the first ones off the boat to get to the private island, but we got our private hut (#11), snorkel equipment, floats, snacks, and drinks. After taking in the awesomeness that was our cabana, we decided to do some snorkeling before the tenders started offloading the rest of the boat. What an amazing experience, my wife and I found a stingray right off of the beach and we spent like 20 minutes just swimming around with it! When it was time to leave, the line was ridiculously long, so we took a seat at the bar and watched the line get down to the end and hopped on the last tender back to the boat.

Freeport - Was forgettable. We just got off and walked around the straw market (every store had the same cheap souvenirs and nothing really neat) and then went to Señor Frogs. If it wasn't the last port one the cruise we may have had a lot of fun their, but we were just tired of drinking at that point, and only got a conch salad (tastes like chewy salsa) and left.

Disembarkation (Baltimore) - We decided to do the self assist since we had a long trip back home ahead of us. It was quick and easy. I was actually surprised that we didn't even have to walk though any type of security check when re-entering the country! Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Interior Main 4140

Quiet room, nice view, good sized bathroom!

Read 781 Freeport Reviews

BEAUTIFUL! We had booked a Private Cabana... BEST $250 EVER SPENT!! Not only are the first ones off the boat to get to the private island, but we got our private hut (#11), snorkel equipment, floats, snacks, and drinks. After taking in the awesomeness that was our cabana, we decided to do some snorkeling before the tenders started offloading the rest of the boat. What an amazing experience, my wife and I found a stingray right off of the beach and we spent like 20 minutes just swimming around with it! When it was time to leave, the line was ridiculously long, so we took a seat at the bar and watched the line get down to the end and hopped on the last tender back to the boat.