Viking Spirit Cruise Review by cruisercarl: It's a Very Nice Boat Ride - But on second thought

cruisercarl
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Viking Spirit Europe - River Cruise Cruises

It's a Very Nice Boat Ride - But on second thought

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Paris

Viking River Cruise to Normandy Beach. This is just one person’s opinion. I love being on the water be it a boat or a ship. And I’ve done many cruises on the bigger cruise ships. This was my first Riverboat Cruise. And my review is only regarding the Paris to Normandy cruise. First, let me say that the Viking Spirit was clean; the food was good; and the crew was friendly and helpful. It’s an 8-day cruise including 2 days in Paris. So, it takes 6 days to go to Omaha beach and back to Paris. The trip stops along the way at towns with one or two churches, souvenir shops and restaurants.

The cruise is really short hops from town to town until you get to the port for Omaha Beach. There, you get on a bus and take a 2+-hour bus ride each way to the beach and the adjoining American Cemetery. There, the ceremony for us was moving and well worth seeing and experiencing. It took 6 days of cruising to get to Omaha beach and back when it is just about a 3 hour drive to More get there from Paris. It’s just me but for this particular cruise, I think I would rather do the day trip to Normandy and then see more of France in its warmer regions. Mind you, I haven’t given up on Riverboat Cruises. On the plus side, the Captain was cordial and very informative in the wheelhouse tour. The cruise director, Anaka was charming and efficient; and Eva in particular, and the rest of the dining staff were friendly and personable. The food was very good and just the right amount. Not too much. The recommendations for the main course by the chef each night was always a beef dish which I don't eat but the fish, chicken and vegetarian dishes were all very good. I have nothing bad to say about Viking. I would recommend Viking for River Cruises. Less

Read more Viking Spirit cruise reviews >>