Island Escape Cruise Review by Wanderers14

Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Las Palmas
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: DE
See More About: Island Escape Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Island Escape Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Island Escape Deck Plans
50th birthday disaster

Travelled on this ship from 28th May and during the week started to hear a few unbelievable stories about the week before.

I booked the Deluxe Balcony cabin, one at the back of the ship, imagining sitting out there watching as we left the various ports. Cabin was nice but a bit shabby. For the extra money Id paid I expected better!

The first morning we woke up to find the toilet in our cabin was blocked and were informed by Customer Relations that this was a problem in a large part of the ship. Both my husband and I had to find a public toilet that was working to use that morning.

We proceeded to breakfast in the Beachcomber Restaurant where the food was warm but not hot. Served to you on plastic plates and drinks in plastic mugs.

After lunch back in the Beachcomber we walked along to the Mirage poolside bar and ordered a drink. White rum and coke for me and a whisky and lemonade for my husband. They were both awful! We then tried the vodka and that wasn’t much better! The alcohol tasted cheap and nasty. It was only drinkable in the various cocktails on offer. We could have ordered the premium brands and paid for them but that is why I went for an all inclusive so I didn't have to worry about how much was being taken out of my bank account each day.

The following day, after returning from our trip to Sardinia, we decided to have dinner in the Island Restaurant. You queue up to get in here and they seat you at a table, but again a buffet. Again the food was only warm and not hot.

After dinner we had a few cocktails in the Bounty Bar and then went to bed.

In all the restaurants/bars they were very slow to clear tables and we often sat at a table that hadn’t been cleaned at all.

The food was not of the standard that we were led to believe it should be. Butlins at sea was a common phrase used amongst the passengers.

The two resident bands, duo Mardi Gras and 5 piece The Switch, were awful. People were constantly walking out, ourselves included. And if you wanted to see a show you had to queue up or you find a sign saying "full".

And the fact that they knew that Norovirus was present and virulent when we boarded, and still allowed the cruise to go ahead, is unbelievable!

We lost half of our last day by being transferred to a hotel in Majorca whilst they disinfected the ship and again the food there was not to standard.

My 50th birthday is memorable for all the wrong reasons and has put us off of taking another cruise!

Publication Date: 06/26/13