“Mariner repositioning leg 1.”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas

goofysguy Mariner of the Seas 4 Mariner repositioning leg 1.
goofysguy
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

I had sailed on RCL 2 previous times and had been very pleased with my experience. However, this cruise was not to be a repeat of the previous ones. I have not sailed from Galveston before so I can't say that my embarkation experience was unusual but definitely unlike previous ones. We stood in the sun for about 40 minutes before we were able to get into the building and then about another 1.5 hours to get to check in counter. From that point we were able to get right on the ship.

We had reserved a Promenade room, which was a first for us. We really enjoyed this room. It was on deck 8 midship. Which would turnout to be a very good location when we reached the higher sea's of the Atlantic. Food was good, but menu repeated every 7 days. Also ran out of tomato juice halfway across. Crew was being converted to 90% by end of trip. They lacked experience. Managerial organization was very evident. Lack of training and communication in a lot of the things they did.

Port information was terrible. Shore excursion talks were given by the excursion director. Very hard to understand and gave the impression of lack of subject knowledge. I enjoyed the orts of call. Did not take any ship tours but found private ones at each port that made the trip enjoyable.

Our arrival at our final port of Barcelona turned out to be mismanagement at its finest. All passengers who were continuing on the next leg were sent to the theater to pickup their passports and new sign and sail cards. The pickup point was in the entrance. Imagine 900 people in a 10x10 room. It took 2 hrs to get off ship. I enjoyed the entertainment on the ship. Thought the cruise directors staff did a good job.

Mariner of the Seas Cruises to Transatlantic
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Promenade Stateroom

PR8591
Same size as ocean view but has window and window seat that looks down on the Promenade. Great location. Minimal motion in high seas. Quiet even during events in Promenade. That was quite a surprise.

City Tour
Hop on Hop off bus. Was a good tour. they have three routes which you can choose between. All you can do in one day.
City Tour

Good tour in a van. Better than ship tour which used buses which were to large to travel the roads around caves and mountain top. Those poor people had to walk and paid twice as much to do it.

Island Tour

Super tour. Lasted all day. We could not have seen anymore in the time that we had. Great value. Booked it online and saved even more. Was able to pay for it with paypal which added more convenience and security.

Published 06/26/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Mariner of the Seas Review
Mariner of the Seas Cruises to Transatlantic
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?