Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by pedsednurse: May 12th cruise

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

May 12th cruise

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We sailed with family on this cruise. We really enjoy Bermuda but not this trip. The Breakaway sailed into the Naval Shipyard. This port is not very memorable. The Breakaway did not feature very exciting excursions. One that we did enjoy was an evening cruise that left at 6pm and sailed to Hamilton, the capitol of Bermuda. We have been visiting Bermuda for over 40yrs. My husband & I met in Bermuda during the Easter College week in 1972. So, Bermuda holds a very special place in our hearts. But, oh how it has changed !! Hamilton looks so tawdry ,dirty, worn and old. Many of the beautiful English shops are gone and replaced with banks. The Irish Linen Shop is over-priced. We could not find anything there to purchase that we could not buy cheaper at home. Hamilton needs to be cleaned up.

We did enjoy the NCL Breakaway. Our room was an outside cabin on the 5th floor. It was not as big as many that you will find on other lines but we quickly adjusted. We realized that we spend More more time enjoying the ship than our cabin. Since it was only 7 nights, we could economize on this type of cabin. We were lucky to have a cabin that had a wide corridor.

We found almost everyone that worked for NCL was friendly and always took time to help us. But, I was not thrilled with the staff in the photo shop. Do not buy any photos while docked in NY or you will pay tax. This never happened on other cruise lines. So, I canceled my purchase. The manager was not understanding of my reasons. he was from the UK.

The casino was not acceptable. The amount of smoke that we had to endure was terrible. I look forward to the day when the cruise lines have a truly smoke free casino. It is impossible to have an area of no smoking next to a smoking area--NCL needs to invest in better ventilation. A nice touch in the casino is refreshments--small tea sandwiches, coffee or tea--very nice--late at night--

I really enjoyed all the restaurants. We enjoyed the Manhattan Club ,one evening with a wonderful orchestra. We had a lovely meal and the music was not loud. We were able to have conversation with lovely background music.

We enjoyed seeing the Rockettes but were very disappointed with just two of them on this very first cruise. In spite of this, they were so friendly, kind and interesting.

The entertainment was fabulous--Burn the Floor etc.the carnival dinner show was wonderful. We had a lovely table where we saw everything and didn't have to spend extra for "priority" seating.

We felt that the service people were wonderful, for the most part. In all the dining venues, the staff was excellent. We never had lobster so my guess is that we needed to pay the outrageous amt. for the Seafood Restaurant. We loved the La Cucina--so worth the price. The food was excellent. If the weather was better we could have eaten outside.

There was a reception for NCL Latitude members but we had to stand the entire time and they never spoke of other itineraries or ships. It was a large group on the 15th floor.

Another night there was fireworks but again no where to sit and we were jammed into a small area on the 15th floor--we found out later some people went to the 16th floor and were able to sit and see the fireworks.

The Spa treatment was excellent. The staff was wonderful. I really felt pampered.

We would definitely take NCL again. We are planning another cruise on the Breakaway but will probably use the same outside cabin since we read the other reviews and felt that the balconies were inadequate. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 5724

small cabin as compared to other cruise lines--especially princess or carnival

Island Tour