We returned sat15 june from a 2wk cruise round the med and as usual the cruise met our expectations.
This is the 2nd time we have used the dream once before the refurb and this time. You can notice a few changes that have been made. But i think thompson are exaggerating by now saying its a platinum ship now its had a refurb, im sure thompson could tell us that millions have been spent but you really cant notice to much difference. well not to warrant using the word platinum. Our cruise was as good/comfortable as before the refurb.
1) THE CABINS. The outside cabin we had this time was on level 4, which was smaller than the one we had on level 5, the cabins on level 5 have enough room for a settee this one did not. The bathroom is the same size, small, and a shower that seems to get smaller as the cruise goes on due to all that food and drink we consume. There's a small flat screen tv with about 5 news channels on and 2 movie channels.there's enough hanging More
space, even when the wife puts her stuff in every conceivable space available. tea and coffee in the room (one of the reasons why its a platinum ship!!!)
2) THE BUFFET The food in the buffet is served to you as the problems with the norovirus. When i found out about this i thought great small portions. But we did not find this at all, you just asked "can i have some more please sir!!!!!" We had our breakfast here with every kind of breakfast available hot/cold cereals, fryups omelets lunch was salads hot food burgers etc
3) THE RESTAURANT The restaurant is anytime dinning from 6 till about 10ish. This is made up of tables for two, four,six,eight, you can either share or stare ie share where the waiters will sit you with other couples or you can stare at the wife!!. The menue is made up of 5 courses which we believe is of a good quality. we sat every night on tables of 8 and not once over 14 nights did anyone moan about the food. We found that on average dinner took about 2hrs depending on how you got on with your fellow table guests
4) THE SHOWS The shows on the ship are of an excellent quality, i read one review which mentions not as good as last year and that we only saw 2 this time. How can you make a judgement on the shows (unless your name is andrew lloyd webber )if you havnt seen them all. We went 2 see all the shows and only one is repeated over 14 nights and where i can say some of them are definitely not for me you could not knock them for the singing quality and dance routines.Two shows got standing ovations 750 people in that auditorium can not be wrong.
5) MADUSA LOUNGE ENTERTAIMENT This is where you will find light hearted stuff going on, they have bingo audience participation games and a great band on.At around the 11.30 some nights the show team come out and do some singing
6) OTHER BARS We didnt actually spend any nights in these bars but there is one that has a duo singing and another with a piano and violinist playing together
7) EVENING BUFFET This is available for all the people that do not want to dress up for dinner and have waiter service.
8) ALL INCLUSIVE DRINKS PACKAGES Theres is a large amount of drinks on offer with this package heineken lager,draught cider, house wine,john smiths and loads of cocktails, all soft drinks. Some bottled lager, cocktails come with a supplement aprox £1.10 depending what you order.
9) SERVICE The staff on this ship deserve a mention. the service is excellent 10) THE NOROVIRUS on board that we were told about, did not really effect you unless you enjoy using the swimming pools and the library ??. we didnt actually talk to anyone that new anyone that had it. My hands have never been so clean as there are sanitizers everywhere.
11) SUNBEDS This is where the sun lovers might have a problem with, especially on sea days as they do pack you in like sardines. When you are in port its not a problem because most people get off, but if you are on a trip and get back after 3ish you will be hunting for an available bed. There are a couple of extremely selfish people that put towels down then go off ship to look round town and come back 3hrs latter. There is a great way to stop this. tell the staff and they will take the towels away, we saw this a couple of times and had a good laugh when they came back to no towels. What is extremely annoying is that there is a sports deck that we saw about a dozen people using over the two weeks that could fit a couple of hundred beds on and ease the sardine environment on sea days. thompson say they listen to your views???? get rid of the sports deck and give us more room.
12) OVERALL The dream is a good cruise ship. its not the greatest on the high seas but it doesn't pretend to be.It is a small ship compared to the likes of royal caribbean but it does come with a great atmosphere, yes you will find stuff that you dont like but i can say that with the hundreds of people we spoke to over breakfast lunch dinner in the bars, lounges round the pool area over the couple of weeks we were there, everyone apart from one couple was enjoying there cruise. sorry this review went on a bit but have tried to give you a accurate one Less