Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by happiestatsea: Summit a misnomer

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Summit a misnomer

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This is the first time I have felt I needed to review a cruise and I wish I had done a little more research on the Celebrity Summit sailing from Newark to Bermuda. I have multiple sailings on Holland America and Royal Caribbean and was looking forward to 'upgrading' to Celebrity. I was so disappointed. Had I been a first-time cruiser I would have felt like I was flapping in the wind, without direction.

Of course these days one has to download all the info. Okay. But is one supposed to carry along a stapler to staple baggage tags onto bags after the airline trip? Handlers at pier jumped all over us trying to help ...But?..made it clear they expected a tip. Huh.

Positives: quick access to ship, but ...we were concierge class. Others waited a long time before access. Negative: no one directed us once on the ship as to where to go. As we were used to the process from other ships, we made our own way up to the buffet. Quick access to the room, but waited and waited More and waited for luggage. Husband's finally arrived, and mine 3 hours later!! A friend who inadvertently had packed a travel iron, waited until 8:30 before tracking her luggage down.

Cruise director, although relatively new in the position, was wonderful in getting to know people, but again, did not inform enough of happenings around the ship that were not included in the daily program.

Ship was old and needs updating, but overall staff (except one at front desk) were wonderful.

So, back on Holland from now on. One frequent Celebrity traveller told us not to judge this ship as representative of the line .... But hey! I paid good money and expected the usual Celebrity service.

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>