Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by MiksterG

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: MiksterG
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda

Breakaway a Major Disappointment

The best way to describe the Breakaway is to equate it to most air travel today...too many seats packed into one space with no legroom. My accommodation was a deck 12 midship mini-suite and MINI describes it. The room was smaller than the smallest balcony room I have ever experienced. There was no table in front of the couch and there was no chair at the tiny desk area. When I got my morning coffee from room service, the tray had to be placed on the couch because it was the only place to put it. The room was so narrow that it would be impossible to include these items. There were no drawers for storage - only open shelves. My husband and I spent the entire week bumping into one another...which is not the way it should be in a mini-suite. Had I known how small the space would be, I would never have spent the extra money.

The balcony was so small that if you sat facing forward, your knees hit the front panel. The bathroom was a good size for a cruise ship, but I would rather have had the space in the living area. The hallways were so narrow that it was impossible to walk side by side and if there was a room service tray or a parked wheelchair, it was a real squeeze. Passengers had to keep their wheelchairs in the hallway because there was no space for them in the room.

On the plus side, the entertainment was outstanding! The Cirque dinner show was well worth the $39.00 additional charge. Do take the priority seating...the regular seats are too far back. Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor were both fun and well done.

The food was excellent! Savor & Taste are across from one another. The Irish Pub was open 24 hours a day and was great for all meals. The Garden Cafe was good....but, always crowded. The Manhatten Dinner Club had loud music and reminded me of attending a wedding reception where it was impossible to have conversation with the other people at the table. One meal there was one too many!

I have read reviews of how friendly the crew is...I found it quite the opposite. I found many of them to be rude and short tempered. This was not ALL of the crew...but enough to mention it.

If you are not a smoker, this ship is not for you! There are very few public areas (other than restaurants) that you can't smell smoke. The casino has smoking all around and to get to the theater from the main restaurant you have to walk through the casino and come out smelling like a smokestack. As time goes on the smell will spread and stick to the walls.

The lifeboat drill was a joke. There was about 30 seconds of drill and the rest was a sales pitch for restaurants, bingo, art auction, etc. I have never seen anything like it!

My favorite restaurant (and well worth the extra cost) was La Cucina. Good food, outstanding service and wonderful ambiance.

I could continue on and on, but you have to make your own decision....I will not be cruising with NCL again. This was not my first cruise with them...but it will be my last. I have cruised on just about every other line that there is and have never written a negative review. I have never seen a ship like this...and hope that I never do again!

Publication Date: 06/16/13