Viking Legend Cruise Review by Cruiselover256: Viking Danube Waltz was a Bust

Viking Danube Waltz was a Bust

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Budapest

First, instead of canceling the cruise due to high water they withheld information and convinced everyone that they would be sailing and moved them to the ship outside Budapest by bus. Later we found out that Viking had decided to cancel the next weeks cruise the day we were taken to the ship. Once we were on the ship we were told misinformation and half-truths to keep us on board. We saw abbreviated tours of places that were on the itinerary without the optional tours that they said were offered. The boat did not move from its docking place in a small Slovakian town so we were bused hours in each direction to see short tours of Budapest, Bratislava, and Vienna.

Second, I dont think they cared for our safety as they should. We were told that we were to be moved (evacuated) to Munich (not on the itinerary and a 12 hour bus ride). The passengers had to climb over flood barriers and sand bags to get to the buses for Munich. I felt that the passengers were placed in danger by More waiting to the last moment to evacuate them. Several passengers were not that mobile and they had difficulty climbing over the sand bags. An emergency medical team was called as we were being moved on the bus but we were not told any details. Later that day my friends were told that the ship was inaccessible and later was told that the crew had to be evacuated by helicopter. The other Viking ship moored with us was safely evacuated the day before to Vienna. We were told we had to go to Munich since there werent any rooms in Vienna.

Third, I have been to Budapest and Munich on business but had not been to Austria. Guess what country we saw very little of? I am so disappointed since I didnt get what I wanted; a restful river cruise, a better understanding about Austria or a Viking cruise that was up to standards. Less

Read more Viking Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Legend

Standard fair for Viking. Adequate room and very clean

Short excursion offered but no optional tours offered