Volendam Cruise Review by wmkl000: 2013 Volendam to Alaska from Vancouver

2013 Volendam to Alaska from Vancouver

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

We sailed the Volendam on the 7 day round trip out of Vancouver to Alaska the first week of June 2013. I'm a new cruiser and had heard/red mixed things about cruises. This is what we experienced:

Boarding and logistics at Vancouver were extremely well organized. The only advice I have is save the HAL transfer and take a cab, it's much less expensive.

The ship itself is mid-sized, not huge, it still looks like a ship, not a floating hotel.

Interior is very tasteful and appropriate for a ship. Nice paintings of older ships etc.

Food was really outstanding. I'm pretty harsh on food quality, for work I eat at many top end restaurants, most disappoint me. The Food on the Volendam did NOT disappoint. In the main dining room they serve a great variety with a different menu each day (with some constants). The portion size is appropriate (not too big). In this case deserts did taste as good as they looked.

Service is good, but can be a tad slow on More room service.

Always easy to find a quiet corner, didn't feel like we were fighting other people

cabin is very quiet and comfortable.

This is not a party ship. The guests were mostly 50-70, lots of Europeans and Australians. Everyone was polite.

Read more Volendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Volendam Review >>

Cabin review: Volendam Verandah Suite Verandah 6101

Cabin was the most forward on starboard verandah deck. It was lower cost than others but I have no idea why. It was absolutely great and we could see forward and look up into the bridge wing and see the captain when he was docking in Vancouver