Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Kemosabe

Cabin Category: 6A
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean
Although the cruise on the Glory was not what I would call bad, it was different from other cruises we have taken. We have previously cruised on RCCL and Holland America. We are "tweeners"...in our late 50's and early 60's so not ready for the older crowd yet, but have learned from our experience on the Glory we do not enjoy being around so many kids either. Here are some specifics of what we liked and didn't like aboard the Glory:

Cabin: Was great. Nice and clean and roomy...nice large window. We were on deck 1, outside, mid-ship. In that we had some rough weather, we were very glad to be low and in the middle. Still, the ship seemed to have a great deal of side-to-side sway that was very noticeable, especially on the upper decks. They had to cancel the show one night because of it. We have cruised in worse weather than we had on this trip, but other ships had no where near the sway problem.

Service: Was adequate. I read some reviews here from other folks and I pretty much agree with them. Everyone did their job, but no one went overboard either. I think the tipping policy of Carnival (tips automatically added to you bill) has something to do with it, however, I think there is more to it than just that. I think some is related to a culture mix of folks that just don't hit it off between themselves. Whatever the reasons, we didn't find any group overly friendly or outgoing. (Perhaps they are just overworked?)

Decor: If you love "glitz and glamour" you'll love this ship. It was a bit too much for my taste. I found myself on sensory overload. It's so glitzy we didn't even notice the Xmas decorations until the third day. We also found it difficult to navigate the various corridors which don't go all the way through...they need to provide a better map. I believe we counted 21 bars on this ship, most of which were empty the majority of the time. I would have preferred they use some of this space for card rooms or other quiet space to read or visit. (Library is very small)

Food: In the Platinum Dining room the food was very good. The dining room itself was very noisy. There were too many tables squeezed into the space which created waiters carrying trays over your head and bumping chairs. The Red Sail on the Lido deck was adequate, but too crowded most of the time.

Kids Programs: We did not have kids enrolled in the programs, but something must be lacking as we observed kids playing cards in the hallway, bouncing basketballs in the hallway, running around in general and the coup was the screaming baby in the Bingo games. Think these folks should have stuck with the Disney ship.

Entertainment: The production shows were very good and more elaborate decorations than we have experienced on other cruises. The comedians and singers were also good. I have to disagree with another reviewer who felt she was not "warned" about the shows not being age appropriate for her kids....the Cruise Director said several times that there would be skimpy costumes. I thought the Full Monty routine was a hoot! On the downside....I missed not having a theater for movies. In room movies were poor selection.

I would try Carnival again but on a smaller ship. I don't think Carnival got the ship configuration right on the Glory to handle the crowds. Plus it appears to me that every square inch of the ship is designed to make money...not necessarily to provide comfort and relaxation to the passengers. I doubt that we will settle into being regulars on Carnival....and definitely not on any of these large super tankers!

Publication Date: 08/13/04