Star Princess Cruise Review by Cruise Xpert: Not your best choice

Not your best choice

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

I am an Executive at a well-known 5-star hotel chain and I would like to provide my honest observations on services I have received:

1. We paid $1,024 for our one-year old just to allow her to go on this cruise with us. Our reservation was booked and pre-paid 6 months prior to the cruise with requests for baby crib and high chairs. Baby crib did not arrive 4 hours after we initially entered our stateroom and there was always at least 10 minutes wait for high chairs at any of restaurants.

2. We got run-arounds by staff from various departments about who should assist us with sanitizing baby bottles using microwaves. Everyone was trying to refuse this request.

3. There was a room for kid programs, but it was always closed when we passed by.

4. Over 70% staff was not perceived being friendly by simply passing by them. No eye contact and no smile at all!

5. We pre-paid beverage package with unlimited non-alcoholic cocktails. Most bartendes More felt being bothered when drinks were ordered. (by the way, if you pay for the drink at the bar, you will be served in a nice cocktail glass with garnish. If the drink is via the beverage package, it is poured into a plastic cup!)

6. Rude Host/Hostess when they were under the stress during the dinner rush.

7. Photos for purchase onboard are extremely expensive ($24.95 a piece). Although I am not completely disgusted by this price, there is absolutely no specials if you wish to buy multiple copies or photos.

8. Followed the disembarkation guideline by the ship to arrange wheelchair assistance for my Mother, but was told on the day of disembarkation that it would be faster if I push the wheelchair myself.

All above, for $9,000 (cruise fare + onboard spendings + shore excursions) for two staterooms with balcony on a 7-day Alaska cruise............Family with kids, please think twice! Less

Published 06/13/13

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: BBA415

The size and amenities of the stateroom are average.

Mendenhall Glacier

A beautiful and must-see scenary!

Whale Watching

Did not see much whales throughout the excursion, but still a nice experience!

Lumberjack Show

Very entertaining!

Totem Bight State Park

Very educational! The Tour Guide Ed was excellent and funny!

White Pass Scenic Railway

Interesting excursion and definitely worth every penny!

Explored on our own and still being able to see the most famous sites.

Read 629 Victoria Reviews