Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by tmt3698

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by tmt3698
Splendour of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas
Member Name: tmt3698
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: N
See More About: Splendour of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Splendour of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Splendour of the Seas Deck Plans
7 Night Greek Isle Cruise

Returned last week from my Greek Isle Cruise with Royal Caribbean. I'll start with the ship first then move to the ports of call. Embarking was easy, except you have to take your luggage across the street then walk back over to the port to check in. The rooms were ready right when I boarded which was around 2:30 local time. I had an inside cabin on deck 2 the room was very comfortable with lots of storage. Overall the ship was clean and they had coffee, lemonade, tea, apple juice etc out at all times. I felt like the food was just ok. The food in the Windjammer Cafe never seemed to be very hot, just warm or less than warm. The main dining room food was hot but I guess I expected the options to be more gourmet. They were kind of run of the mill. I did try some different things, like Lobster Bisque and Duck and they were just ok. The best thing I had was the filet, very tender and yummy. Even the desserts were just ok.

I went to several shows and they were great the dancers were very impressive. The belly flop contest was a hoot. The acrobatic show in the Centrum the last night was very impressive too.

To the ports of call, I did a shore excursion in every port except Katakolon.
I was happy with the shore excursions except I wish we would have had more time in Oia, the tour guide told us the best views were at the end of the town and that takes 20 mins. to walk down there and then 20 mins. back and we only 40 mins. total in Oia. So we got to walk down the pathway take photos and walk back and barely made it back to the bus. Personally I could skip the winery and spend more time in Oia. I read several reviews how hard it was to take the cable car down to the ship. There were three ships in port that day. We did have to stand in line apprx. 30 mins or so but the line moved quickly. In retrospect I wish I would have done my own thing there and been able to spend more time in Oia maybe having lunch up there.

I wasn't sure if the Oylmpic Village in Katakolon was going to interest me but it was very interesting and there is a museum too. 9 euros for the museum and village.

We took the 7:45 shore excursion to Athens and arrived at the Acropolis before it got really busy, when we left it was getting packed and hot.

Overall it was a great vacation. Would have liked the food to have been a little better and more time in Oia which is the main reason I took this cruise to begin with.

I went one day early and stayed in Venice, very nice place. I booked a reservation for St. Mark's Basilica online "skip the line" for 1.70 euro and walked right in no standing in line.
If you buy anything in Venice I think they have a tendancy to "short change" tourist. It happened to me a couple times and my friend said they did it to her too.
Ciao!!

Publication Date: 06/12/13
Read the Eastern Mediterranean ports review by tmt3698
More Splendour of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Splendour of the Seas review Read the next Splendour of the Seas review

More Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews