Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by tmt3698: 7 Night Greek Isle Cruise

7 Night Greek Isle Cruise

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

Returned last week from my Greek Isle Cruise with Royal Caribbean. I'll start with the ship first then move to the ports of call. Embarking was easy, except you have to take your luggage across the street then walk back over to the port to check in. The rooms were ready right when I boarded which was around 2:30 local time. I had an inside cabin on deck 2 the room was very comfortable with lots of storage. Overall the ship was clean and they had coffee, lemonade, tea, apple juice etc out at all times. I felt like the food was just ok. The food in the Windjammer Cafe never seemed to be very hot, just warm or less than warm. The main dining room food was hot but I guess I expected the options to be more gourmet. They were kind of run of the mill. I did try some different things, like Lobster Bisque and Duck and they were just ok. The best thing I had was the filet, very tender and yummy. Even the desserts were just ok.

I went to several shows and they were great the dancers More were very impressive. The belly flop contest was a hoot. The acrobatic show in the Centrum the last night was very impressive too.

To the ports of call, I did a shore excursion in every port except Katakolon.
I was happy with the shore excursions except I wish we would have had more time in Oia, the tour guide told us the best views were at the end of the town and that takes 20 mins. to walk down there and then 20 mins. back and we only 40 mins. total in Oia. So we got to walk down the pathway take photos and walk back and barely made it back to the bus. Personally I could skip the winery and spend more time in Oia. I read several reviews how hard it was to take the cable car down to the ship. There were three ships in port that day. We did have to stand in line apprx. 30 mins or so but the line moved quickly. In retrospect I wish I would have done my own thing there and been able to spend more time in Oia maybe having lunch up there.

I wasn't sure if the Oylmpic Village in Katakolon was going to interest me but it was very interesting and there is a museum too. 9 euros for the museum and village.

We took the 7:45 shore excursion to Athens and arrived at the Acropolis before it got really busy, when we left it was getting packed and hot.

Overall it was a great vacation. Would have liked the food to have been a little better and more time in Oia which is the main reason I took this cruise to begin with.

I went one day early and stayed in Venice, very nice place. I booked a reservation for St. Mark's Basilica online "skip the line" for 1.70 euro and walked right in no standing in line.
If you buy anything in Venice I think they have a tendancy to "short change" tourist. It happened to me a couple times and my friend said they did it to her too.
Ciao!! Less

Read more Splendour of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Splendour of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Splendour of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 2531

Nice cabin very clean. Had a lot of storage. But only two plugs located on the vanity. None near the bed.

City Tour

Took a shore excursion here too. This tour guide was very good. Our first stop was the Acropolis it was the 7:45am time slot. We climbed the first set of stairs stopped for a bathroom break then climbed the rest of the way. Once on top the rocks are slippery and you really have to watch where you walk plus watch all the other people. It was a remarkable place. I'm glad we arrived early before the throngs of people got there. It's hard to take pictures without people in them. After that we went to some stadium then the bus dropped us off at the Plaka. We had lunch there and shopped until we dropped then headed back to where the bus was to pick us up. Very nice excursion.

Achilleion Palace

I had chosen a different shore excursion but my friend wanted this one, the palace was ok. There were so many tours there our tour guide seemed to get flustered with all the people there and I thought she wasn't the best tour guide to be honest. We didn't stop for the photo op of Mouse Island they just slowed down. The dowtown part was nice, we left the tour a little early and did our own shopping then took the shuttle bus back.

Cavtat Walking Tour

Went to Old Town, Cavtat and a restaurant next to a river. Very nice excursion

We decided to rent a car, I drove & the guy from the rental car place said all the tour buses are going to the Olympic Village and said just follow them so that is what we did. The Olympic Village was really cool, I didn't think I would like it but it was nice and the museum was nice too. They have a cafe and restrooms so you can take a break from the heat. After that we had lunch in Olympia and shopped there. We drove back to Katakolon and shopped a little more then dropped the car off at 4:10 just in time to get back on the ship. The car rental was $45 euros plus they ask you to put $10 euros of gas in the car they give you car on an empty tank there is a gas station right down the street. There is also a train that will take you to the Olympic Village for $9 euros and our dining buddies took a Happy Train that was $6 euros to the beach and somewhere else.

Oia Village

Again would have liked more time in Oia, the winery was just ok. I mainly took this short excursion because I read the folks who take the shore excursion get to leave the ship first(to get on the tender) I guess we did I don't know and also read how hard it was to take the cable car down. It wasn't that big of a deal we stood in line about 30 mins. but we were running out of time the last tender was at 7pm so we probably should have allowed more time to stand in line for the cable car. Oia was gorgeous the pictures you see online don't do it justice. Unbelievable place!