Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by ladygolfer1310

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by ladygolfer1310
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: ladygolfer1310
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Number: 11th floor studio

Give yourself a Break-away but not on NCL Breakaway

Long lines to board even though I pre registered on computer. No one to direct you once on board. Confused as to where to go. As a solo traveler I opted for a studio cabin. However, a fellow passenger in the room next to me snored the entire trip. Our headboards were connected by a non-sound proof wall. It was as if he was in my room the entire vacation. I did not sleep. I spoke to guest relations - their reply-- get ear plugs. I was so insulted. The woman in the next opposite room had company on several nights, laughing, etc until 2am. I could not sleep. I was told they would try and change my room when we docked in Burmuda but there never followed up to tell that that was impossible. Instead of 4,000 on the ship, they had 4,500 and with bad weather most of the week we were all crammed inside. The closet doors in my studio moved from side to side and unless you held them they slammed. I constantly heard everyones closet doors closing and opening in surrounding rooms throughout the cruise which woke me all the time.

By the way, no more than 8 people ever showed up at the studio lounge. Only about a handful of single people on the ship.

I was never told that my not leaving a credit card or room card in the wall that the power would go off. When I found out I did not realize that my cell phone was never charging. Also the sheets were only changed maybe twice during the cruise as compared to hotels where they are changed everyday.

Bring your own soap, shampoo and conditioner. Just a shampoo and soap dispenser on the shower wall. The shower head had no water power and the head on the shower was huge and awkward to use.

Dining Room - As a solo traveler I ate alone. NCL waiters never sat me with anyone and never offered.  I would have like to have joined other travelers. Luckily I knew some married couples from NY and was able to join them on occasion as they had confirmed reservation every night. Otherwise, you had to wait a long time to be seated for dinner. Food was ok. Same menu every evening except they would change or add maybe 4 new items. I had the menu memorized by the end of week.

Smoking - Smoking was allowed at all the pool bars which kept me away from them. Other cruises I have taken had areas just for smoking. The pool depth started at 6 feet. You had to hold on to the ledge if you could not swim or tread water. Very few people used the pool areas. you went to the kiddie area of the ship and hung out there. The casino allowed smoking in the entire casino. Once again not in designated areas. To get from the main restaurant to the theater you walked through the casino and felt like you had smoked a pack of cigarettes. The smoke could be smelled on the deck under the casino too and I am sure after a few weeks the smoke smell will spread to more open areas. With 4,500 people on this ship I felt they could easily be a fire.

Atrium room - Movies were shown here on the same level as guest relations. Triva, a singing combo played several nights and even the captain and crew gave a question and answer show. However, above the atrium was a bar and bowling alley and hockey puck game. Because of the openness all you ever heard were noisy people and games being played while trying to enjoy the atrium area which only seated maybe 100 or less people. Most people on the ship had to stand to witness any activities going on here.

My married friends were on the 5th floor under a nighclub that played music to 1-2am. They were awake all week too . Technicians were sent to their rooms and it was confirmed that the noise was awful. They at least got an onboard credit. The only thing I got was an offer for ear plugs.

Bathrooms were plain and not really kept clean. I never saw an attendant or cleaning person for the entire triip

The gym was small and separated into 3 rooms. Turned me off I never saw many people using it.

I entered an elevator and there was food all over the floor. The elevators were small. Unlike Royal Carribean, you never knew what was on each deck before you got off the elevator you just knew the floor. Royal Carribean even had the day of the week in the elevator and changed it each day.

This ship catered to the 30 and under group, kids and families. There were only disco clubs for dancing or the Manhattan Dinner Club had a dance floor while having dinner but few people danced.

This is my fourth and last NCL cruise. Bigger is not better. I felt more stressed on this vacation than being at home. There were hidden charges noone expected. Bring your wallet.
The only positive thing was some of the entertainment but I suggest staying in NYC for that instead of risking you life on this huge and costly ship.

Publication Date: 06/11/13