Westerdam Cruise Review by Bamagirl123: LAST CRUISE ON HOLLAND AMERICA

LAST CRUISE ON HOLLAND AMERICA

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We have just returned from spending a week on the Westerdam to Alaska. It will be the LAST Holland America cruise I ever take. Holland was my favorite cruise line before Carnival took over and now it is a sad & hollow reminder of what it used to be.

We left on June 1 out of Seattle headed to Alaska. The ship looked tired and worn - paint is peeling, the decks need a good oiling, etc. The cushions on the chairs on our balcony were worn and had holes in them. They didn't even match. They had one cushion that was thick with a big tear in the back of it and one that was thin. This is supposed to be Holland America now??? The old Holland was run with the greatest attention to detail.

The food was terrible and very redundant on the Lido deck. We ate in the dining room to try and escape the crowds and the bland choices, but this wasn't much better. I ordered the lobster and got food poisoning. I got food poisoning on a Holland America Panama cruise as well. More Throwing up and spending the evening in the bathroom is really my idea of a vacation! Thanks Holland America!

The worst part about this cruise was that we had so little time in each port. It was rushed every place we went. I spent over $5000 on this trip and felt like I barely got to see Alaska. It was ridiculous to have only 4 or 5 hours in each place. I DID NOT PAY THIS MUCH MONEY TO SPEND MY ENTIRE TIME ON THE SHIP. In Sitka we only had a few hours. Same in Juneau. On most of the cruises I have been on before you are normally given the whole day in port. With your itinerary, time is so tight you can ONLY do the Holland excursions for fear of being left behind and there is no time to see the city and do any shopping or browsing. To top it off, the ship was late getting into Victoria. I paid $105 each for us to go to on the Grand Tour and have High Tea at the Empress Hotel. We had less than an hour for the tea and the bus driver kept complaining that the ship had come in late and now it was going to be too dark to take us to most of the places he had on the tour. We had to race through High Tea to get back on the bus. It was horrible. It was more like fast food than High Tea and when we finished it was dark outside. I didn't even have time to hit the gift shop. This was AWFUL and was a total ripoff.

This was by far one of the worst cruises I have ever taken. Holland America has gone to the dogs and all they care about is taking your money!!!! Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review >>

Cabin review: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Outside Upper Promenade

Dog Sledding

The Dog Sledding was amazing. It was the best excursion we did.

Whale Watching

(1)

This was a total waste of money. The captain spent half the time trying to find one whale that had gone very far out, and when she got out there and realized she couldnt find it we then only had a few minutes to go back and watch some of the whales that were closer in. She made the decision to bypass those whales at the beginning and then had to go back to them afterwards but by that point was almost out of time. I barely got to see anything and spent a fortune.

Float Plane

(2)

This was ok but not a great value for the money. Diesel fuel smell was very bad in the plane. You dont see anything worth the amount of money they charge you to do this....

Wildlife Tour

Not worth the money - didnt get to see much wildlife. Had almost no time to walk around Sitka or see anything else.

High Tea at the Empress Hotel

(1)

Terrible experience. Ship got in late - had to rush through the tea. It was like fast food at Mcdonalds, not High Tea at the Empress. Had less than an hour at the hotel and for tea. Had to run back to the bus and by the time we got finished it was too dark to see anything. Paid $105 each -- total ripoff.