Westerdam Cruise Review by piccWAgirl: Westerdam Alaska May 25, 2013

Westerdam Alaska May 25, 2013

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This is my 5th cruise, the first with Holland America and most likely my last.
My expectations: Clean, Kept up, Friendly, Great food. This was not the case on the Westerdam. I found this ship run down. Example: pealing paint on the overhead beams on the deck and the deck hasn't seen a good oiling in years. The edge of the deck stage, the wood was broken. It makes me wonder what's going on where we can't see.
I was shocked when I opened my room (deluxe Veranda) to find it very small,worn cushions on the couch with stains on the throw pillows. Although the deck was small they did have the best chairs as they were not resin and comfortable. We had asked for adjoining room/deck as we travel with another couple. the door on the deck couldn't be opened completely as it occluded the cabin door and banged all night long. Whoever designed this never thought it thru. My cabin was kept clean, by who I don't know, I never saw a soul. I found the bathroom clean although I More could smell septic.
The dining room was open and nice, we had second seating. Our waiter, Sigh...I hope he was new, he couldn't remember anything and I can't blame it on to many people as the dining room was 1/2 capacity. The steak was always great always done right, between the 4 of us I think we tried everything. Mostly good, not over the top and presentation very sub standard. No carvings out of veggies with exception to a watermelon cut into a rose. no ice sculptures. If you like eating the same thing over and over then the buffet is for you. I found it bland as did my fellow cruisers. If you got creative you could make a pretty awesome salad going to all the stations. I found the staff the least friendly of any ship ever.
Make sure you really listen to them when they are pushing the drink card. My husband doesn't drink and got a soda card, I got the all inclusive card. Upon check out I see 2 charges on the bill for all inclusive, It was explained that not just one person per cabin could get an all inclusive card...OH REALLY??? And yes I got the charge removed.. That's a scam...beware!!
Do I have anything good to say, YES! they have the best by far embarking and disembarking of any ship I've been on. They don't care how much wine you bring onboard, we carried a 6 pack in hand, kept in our room and no problem.
The beds and pillows are fabulous and room service is wonderful, the freshest food and the presentation is spot on. Try the Italian Restaurant, it's more than worth the extra $20, we couldn't get into the Pinnical, it was always booked. May say something about the ship food!!
Ports: They are what you make of them. We had a great time. Knowing before we left that came in late and didn't give much time, so make the best of it.
I was worried about Victoria, as we only had a few hours, but with a lot of hustle we had a good time.
Saw all the wild life, the Captain went the extra mile so we could see a bear in Glacier Bay.
All in all we had a good time, wouldn't go Westerdam doing it a second time. Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>