Emerald Princess Cruise Review by donanddiane

Member Name: donanddiane
Cruise Date: April 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: I
See More About: Emerald Princess Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Emerald Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Emerald Princess Deck Plans
19 DayTransatlantic Trip of a Lifetime

I have always loved to plan vacations, so my new husband said, "plan the vacation of your dreams for our honeymoon". With pleasure, I started planning our 19 day Transatlantic voyage to Europe.

Embarking was easy and efficient. We waited in line for about 25 minutes before the process started.

The food was just a little disappointing. I had expected fine dining every evening, and though the food was not bad at all, it was not as good as I had expected. We ate in the dining room almost every evening with the traditional seating time. Our servers were excellent. Breakfast was enjoyed at the Horizon Cafe 95% of the time. The food was good and the selection was great. We had pizza once at the pizzeria which was good. The International Cafe's food was okay. We had sushi at The Vines and it was the freshest and best sushi I had ever eaten. We ate at Sabatini's, their specialty restaurant, and though the food was good, it was not great, as expected. However, the service was excellent. We are coffee drinkers and payed for a coffee card which was well worth the price of the card. Least I forget, High Tea every afternoon at 3:30 in the dining room, was excellent.

We are not drinkers or dancers, so we always went to the Princess Theater for entertainment. We found the entertainment to be 50/50. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. The entertainment in the Piazza was usually very good.

The ports of call were excellent as were the excursions. I chose this cruise based on the ports of call and they did not disappoint.

The next time I book a long cruise, I will choose a ship that has more recreational activities on board. The Emerald Princess does not have the bells and whistles of other ships; no rock climbing wall, no golf simulator, no skating rink. There were 2 ping pong tables, a basketball hoop and paddle tennis, but the paddle tennis was only available 2 hours a day because it doubled as the basketball court. There were movies under the stars every afternoon and evening, however don't forget that it gets very cold at sea in April/May in Europe. And remember to get there early or their won't be an available lounger or blanket to stay warm with.

I tried to keep exercising while on the ship to cut down on any weight gain from all the rich foods. The Lotus Spa had every piece of equipment as my gym at home does. The only problem for me was that there were not enough stationary bikes. There were only 5 and one was broken and never fixed during the duration of the cruise. I was always waiting for a stationary bike.

If you enjoy a cigar occasionally, there is a speakeasy for your cigar enjoyment. However, be prepared to be overwhelmed by cigarette smoke. The Speakeasy was used by guest cigarette smokers as well as the crew/staff. Not an enjoyable environment at all if you're a cigar connoisseur.

If you're looking for a quiet, kid-free environment, with great ports of call, at a great price, this may be the cruise for you.

Publication Date: 06/09/13
Read the Transatlantic ports review by donanddiane
More Emerald Princess Cruise Reviews