Westerdam Cruise Review by bostongirl17

Member Name: bostongirl17
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
Expected the worst, pleasantly suprised

Luckily for me, my family is big into traveling. Before this Alaskan cruise I've been on 7 cruises, but only to the Caribbean, and we sailed the younger major cruise lines like NCL, Princess, RC, and Carnival. We decided to switch it up and go to Alaska, which meant sailing Holland America(only cruise line that let 18+ gamble). From the beginning I was bracing myself to be stuck with my mom the entire cruise because I knew everyone was going to be much older.

EMBARKATION:
Absolutely no problem here and got on the ship right away.

FOOD:
Some reviews claimed that the food was awful. My family and I thought it was delicious. The only downside is that they had a lot of seafood, especially salmon, and I hate seafood. They had great alternatives though, so I wasn't disappointed. We ate one night at the Pinnacle Grille and it was absolutely delicious.

ENTERTAINMENT:
I'm sorry but this cruise had the absolute WORST entertainment I have ever seen on a ship. The two comedians were pretty funny but the shows were painful to sit through. Ended up leaving one show after 15 minutes then just didn't bother to go to the ones after that They also have some lady who sings at the piano bar next to the casino where I would joke with other cruisers about asking to close the door so we wouldn't have to listen to her.

SERVICE:
The crew on this ship was hands down the nicest crew. The room attendants were very accommodating and someone was always there to help. The crew in the Lido were a little overwhelming at times, asking constantly if I needed something else even after I said no, but hey, they were just doing their job.

There was a meet and greet type of thing for 18-25 year olds which I thought was awesome. I would say the average age was around 50-60 so it was nice that they made a point to try to get the young kids together. Trivia was always fun and the competitions by the pool were funny to watch.

All in all, the cruise was well above my expectations. I wouldn't let the age group of a cruise steer me away from sailing them anymore, but it would be nice to see more young faces.

Publication Date: 06/10/13