Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by tarryn23: Alaska on Celebrity Solstice

Alaska on Celebrity Solstice

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

Ship: We loved the ship. It's new, modern, beautiful, clean. The lawn and solarium were a great touch. Our service was always excellent. We used the gym every day - it's a lot easier to workout when you get to stare out at Alaskan mountains. We didn't see as many shows as we normally would have. Partly because we had a late dinner (8:30) and were too tired to do an 11:00 show. Sometimes the shows were at 7 but it gets dark so late in Alaska that we never wanted to sit in a dark theatre when the scenery was so gorgeous outside. The food was always delicious but the buffett could have had a little more variety. We had a balcony stateroom - 6221. The room was spacious, the bed was huge, the bathroom was clean and modern. The balcony had a great, unobstructed view. We used it a lot but I also spent a lot of time on deck so I could have a view of both sides. You can definitely still have a great experience without a balcony room.

Alaska: Absolutely awesome. We didn't do any More ship excursions but there was definitely a good variety. I think local companies give you a nice taste of local life - which is especially cool in a place like Alaska. We stopped at Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. We also did a 4 hour scenic cruise of tracy arm fjord the morning before we stopped in Juneau. Tracy Arm was by far the best part of our cruise, but we also loved Ketchikan and Skagway for their small-town flavor. My one compliant about the itenerary was that it was very front-heavy. Our first day was a sea day, then we had 3 days in port, and basically 2 more sea days at the end because we stopped in Victoria at 6pm and docked back in Seattle at 7 the next day. The naturalist on board was great - we went to all his talks - and I spent a good part of our sailing time looking for whales. I saw a couple bald eagles coming in and out of ports. We saw a lot of porpoises right up close to the ship and we saw 5-6 whales in the distance. I'd recommend keeping a look out at all times but especially when you're close to land. Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Deluxe Oceanveiw Stateroom Continental Deck (6) 6221

We were very happy with our room. It was in the same category as all the lowest-priced balcony rooms and yet it was mid-ship and had an unobstructed view. The 5th deck has all the life boats so most balconies on the 6th floor can't see directly down. 6221 is on a part of ship in the center that juts out over the life boats. The one thing about the balconies on the "jut out" is that some of the glass is tinted with the Celebrity "X" that goes across all the balconies. Ours was completedly covered in the darker tint so I raraly sat down because it made whale-watching dificult. That being said, I would still book the room again - great value for mid-ship. We never felt sea sick (although the sea was very calm when we went) and our service was great. We were close to the main dining room on the 3rd/4th floor and right by the elevators for easy access to the buffett, gym, and upper decks. Our room was always quiet - not a lot of traffic but I think on an Alaskan cruise you're going to get a quieter crowd anyway. I don't think there is any side of the ship that has better views. The scenery changes so much that it really doesn't matter. Our stateroom attendants were great. The bathroom was modern and had plenty of storage. King bed was great and very comfortable. I wouldn't want to sleep more than 2 people in the room but there is a couch that folds out so you could. The room also has great curtains that block out the light - extermely helpful in Alaska in the summer.