Golden Princess Cruise Review by centrum

Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: BB
Cabin Number: C107
See More About: Golden Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Golden Princess losing its shine.

As an introduction, we are serious cruisers and enjoyed everything from Dolphin to Silversea. We are recently retired and have future cruises booked on Carnival and NCL. We have never had a bad cruise and generally book solely on cost. Previous posters were right on describing the somewhat chaotic boarding process. The priority check in lines for Elite's took longer then regular passengers. We selected an extended balcony, forward on the port side on Caribe deck. The cabin was always clean and the steward was eager to please. We do not drink alcohol so the mini bar set up was replaced with bottled water and soda.
We rarely went to the buffet, especially after the Captain announced an outbreak of noro virus. My wife was definitely not surprised. She commented on boarding that hygiene was not being adequately provided for passengers on entering public areas. That changed quickly after the outbreak and purel was available at all dining areas. Unfortunately, I saw many passengers fail to use it. Oh well ! ! !

The weather was excellent (but cold) and we were able to enjoy the balcony while listening to the presentation of naturalist Kathy.

Other entertainment in the theater was average. Singers and dancers were mediocre with the exception of the show "British Invasion" that had some energy.
A few brave people watched movies under the stars but overall, it was too cold to sit outside.

The gym staff have an interesting sales pitch to buy shoe inserts for $189 that supposedly cure all back problems. The true purpose of the seminar was disguised and I found this to be a little deceitful.

The food I tried in the Horizon Court seemed to be recycled from main dining room menus and was somewhat bland.

Food in the main dining room for all meals was average with a couple of dinners being excellent.

Excursions were pricey and lower rates could be had if you waited until you arrived into the port and booked at the dock.

I feel no loyalty to any cruise line even though I am Elite with Princess. I used to compare Princess favorably to Celebrity, but that comparison is no longer valid. If given a choice for the same itinerary, accommodation and fare, I would select Celebrity over Princess.

Publication Date: 06/09/13