Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by callmearavis: You get what you pay for - it was fun, though!

callmearavis
Member Since 2013

You get what you pay for - it was fun, though!

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Other

We knew we weren't getting a fabulous cruise from the amazingly cheap price we paid. We went in without high expectations. The room we received was tiny, but clean. The bed was comfortable, but lacked much in the way of sheets. We called room service for a blanket, and after about a thirty minute wait, we received a nice blanket. The ship was very cold, including in our room, and the in-room thermostat did not work. I had packed a sweatshirt, so I managed OK, but it was still colder than I would have cared for. The water pressure in the shower was good, but the water temperature fluctuated back and forth from comfortable to HOT throughout the time I used it. I didn't get 'burned' but it was definitely hotter than I was comfortable with!

The food was very good overall. We had an extremely tasty meal at the Crystal Dining Room. We were seated with a couple we did not know, which put a bit of a damper on what we had planned to be a romantic dinner, but we ended up having a More lovely conversation with them. (You have to pick your battles in life!) The buffet lunch and breakfast options weren't superb, but adequate.

The casino was where we spent most of our time when we were onboard. The staff members in the casino were tremendous! They really helped make our time enjoyable.

Our one day on the island was good. I would NOT recommend using their City Tour excursion. We toured Freeport, which meant we drove through housing additions. I thought we would be seeing the 'sights'. There was nothing noteworthy to see, and the marketplace we stopped at was mediocre at best. Each booth had identical items to purchase, mostly trinkets that were labeled MADE IN CHINA. The hotel resort/beach option was terrific (Grand Lucaya). The beach area and the pool area were fabulous. There were very few people there, so I felt as if I had the entire place to myself!!! The lunch that was served was OK. My husband did the scuba diving excursion and enjoyed himself, aside from the fact that the water was extremely choppy.

Overall, we definitely got what we paid for. It was a nice trip. Not a fabulous trip. If you are pretty easy to please, and can laugh off some of the crazy things like fluctuating water temperature, you will be fine. Less

Read more Bahamas Celebration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Bahamas Celebration Review >>

Cabin review: Bahamas Celebration

Our room was extremely small. There was a bed, a mirror & desk, a small television, a tiny closet, and just enough space to walk around the bed on one side. Since we were only staying two nights, we did not have a lot of luggage, otherwise it might have been too cramped.The room was clean. The bathroom was clean. The bed was comfortable. There was not enough bedding for how cold the room was, so we had to request an extra blanket. The wait for the blanket was at least half an hour, which was frustrating because I was ready to go to bed! But, after being patient, I was rewarded with a cozy blanket and a good night's sleep!

Beach Break

(5)

The Grand Lucayan was beautiful. The pool was sparkling and clean! The beach area was amazing. The food served for the included-lunch was OK.

City Tour

(2)

There is nothing in this city worth touring. We drove through housing additions. It was a waste of time and money. I would NOT recommend it.

Scuba

(4)

The weather wasn't very cooperative, but it was a nice experience. The ship wreck portion of the dive was disappointing - there really wasn't much to see.

Read 2 Scuba Reviews