Island Escape Cruise Review by Dan111: Nightmare Weather

Nightmare Weather

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

We had a really bad cruise experience as weather at sea was very bad. Seasick on day at sea leaving Palma for Corsica we were unable to dock at Propriano as planned and instead went to Ajaccio although that was a good stop. Next stop Civitavecchia - had great day in Rome, however on way out of port weather was very rough on 24May and ship made a sharp turn on the way out which resulted in most people, drinks and dishes on the floor and the ship listed way over to the side. I can't believe no one was seriously hurt. Many people were very nervous to stay on board that night. The weather never improved and apart from the second last night the seas were rough and ship very noisy. There was little opportunity to get out on deck. Another port was changed and we visited Toulon instead of St Raphael which again was a good stop, however not what people had signed up for.
We requested wheelchair assistance on arrival and departure from the ship and this was an excellent service. More

Food was mediocre and cocktails tasted different on every order. Very poor standard of catering and I was disappointed as I had high expectations from others people's experience of cruises. The help yourself buffet became service only about half way through the cruise and no explanation was given so I thought maybe people were helping themselves to too much, however I later heard another passenger saying her husband was suffering from Norivirus and may be leaving the ship for hospital and not home the following day. It would have been nice to know this was on board the ship.

Although there was an all gratuity included policy, it was obvious that many staff were expecting tips but not all.

Entertainment was excellent but was hard to enjoy as I was so nervous about ship sinking, but it did take my mind of things.

I had paid extra for a suite but was still very small and smelt very musty and I had a headache every day on board which I think was caused by the constant air conditioning overhead in bedroom. Room was kept clean but the décor was very tired so it still never felt very fresh.

It was a great way to get around major cities in a week but I could not recommend as I don't think cruises are safe after this.

The shops were selling old stock and at not very discounted prices.

I found it hard to believe that people say you would never know you were on a cruise as we lurched from one port to another.

Due to the incident at Civitavecchia,Thomson has offered 100 per adult and 50 per off the next Thomson holiday booked, which I think is a great way to drum up some more sales......... Less

Read more Island Escape cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Island Escape Review >>

Cabin review: Island Escape 8528

Very dated and not particularly well laid out storage wise. Not very fresh. Very noisy from stormy seas. not worth extra money.

Gaul park very fascinating and quiet early in the day.

La Sagrada Familia

(3)

La Sagrada Famillia worth a visit but extremely busy.

Very nice and clean. very friendly people, Good food on front cafes and reasonable prices.

City Tour

(5)

Fantastic tour with the lovely Sylvia from I think Sunshine tours. Very informative and easy on the feet. Great to drive past St Peters and not be waiting in the queue.

Colosseum

(3)

Vary impressive but very busy at entrance gates.

Pantheon

Free entry and incredible to see. Very peaceful inside where you can sit and reflect.

Trevi Fountain

(3)

Too busy for me - fantastic fountain but watch your wallet