Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by DF3651

Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Baltimore
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: K
See More About: Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Dining Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Grandeur a great ship

I sailed the week of May 17th to Bermuda and was lucky enough to miss the fire having disembarked in Baltimore 48 hours earlier. The Grandeur of the Seas is a very intimate (not small but not large either) ship recently refurbished and I must say they did a great job. I was a little reluctant to take this cruise because of the reviews I read regarding the smell and I even changed my stateroom but can absolutely assure everyone at no time did I ever experience any bad odors. I wandered down to the area in question and it was fine. I even spoke to others in staterooms in that area and they never experienced anything either. I must say I did smell something while sitting at the Solarium pool-the massage oil coming from the spa and it was heavenly.

Embarkation: It was extremely smooth for me but I arrived early and may have missed any lines. the Port of Baltimore is extremely organized and I was inside the terminal within minutes after being dropped off. There are lots of people there directing traffic. Check in was smooth and they began letting people onboard at 11:30. The Windjammer was open for people to have lunch til the rooms were ready at 1:00.

Stateroom: My stateroom was located midship on deck 8 (8549) I had amazing access to everything. Wesley was my attendant and although I didn't see much of him during the week, he always had my room made up and towel animals done nightly. Ice was always ready and waiting for me.

Dining:I traveled alone so I went down to the "My Time" dining room, introduced myself to the maitre d and asked if he could sit me with other people each night. He was amazing. He remembered my name and cabin number and always made sure I was we'll taken care of. I never had to wait for a table that I recently had to do with another cruise line. The service in the dining room was terrific going so far to make sure I got lobster bisque one night after they ran out the previous night. The new menu was introduced with our cruise and it was great. Everything was presented beautifully and tasted wonderful. I did not eat in any of the speciality restaurants. The food was that good. They do have several items from the specialty restaurants on the menu you can get for an extra charge but I didn't feel the need to.

Entertainment: I enjoyed all the entertainment. They did 2 production numbers, had several comedians, the Divas of Motown and the aerial show in the centrum the final night. The centrum always had things going on from demonstrations with fruit, towels, napkins to music. I managed to find the best margarita at the R bar there in the centrum and listed to music each day from 4:30-6:00 while enjoying my drink and making new friends. Eloy was the hit on the dance floor.

Bermuda is beautiful and I definitely need to go back. There's so much more to see. It is a very historic island and its connection to the Jamestown colony was something I never knew about before. St. Georges's was my favorite place. Small shops, cobblestone roads and virtually no traffic where all the shops are. Its easy to get around. Just buy the transportation pass. Two partial days and 1 full day is not enough for this island. Didn't even make it to the beaches. So back I will go.

Disembarkation: Also extremely smooth. I did the walk off and was off the ship by 8:00.

For those of you with cancelled cruises due to the fire, don't be reluctant to reschedule. I am sure they will have it up and running to perfection shortly. You will not be disappointed. I absolutely loved this cruise and the ship and our hosts were absolutely amazing. Well done Royal Caribbean!!!!!!!

Publication Date: 06/07/13