Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by xlstrawberry: 4th Princess Cruise

4th Princess Cruise

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Other

We were on the Caribbean Princess for this cruise. I will say she is probably the oldest ship we have sailed on as of yet. She was well maintained but it does have a couple of draw backs - 1st - this ship is not totally ADA accessible as much as the Ruby and Sapphire are. You can't get into the Princess Theatre with out having to climb up and down stairs - also, the Palm dining room is rather difficult. Its all the way at the end of the ship and there are only a couple ways to get through to it - not every elevator goes down to the floor where the dining room is. And leaving the dining room and catching an elevator was almost as much of a challenge. Only the elevator on the outside (far right, and far left) would take you up so my husband would wait in front of one, and I would wait in front of the other, and who ever came first would yell out - "here it is, hurry!" and we'd have to race to get to it. Fun. As of our service, it was the best we have had in a while. They truly were More there to serve us.....never heard any negativity.....they did all possible for us. Our room steward - Giavani was the best. Our table staff as well was very good. This was our longest and most grueling cruise - 9 ports in 12 days, it almost became a marathon. We had to cancel 3 excursions due to health reasons but did go on shore and explored on our own which turned out to be a blessing. We LOVED Orkney Islands and the ruins. Wish we had more time to explore those. All in all, there was so much to do, I'm still recouping and trying to readjust to the 6 hour time change. I'm glad we got a sample of Ireland, Scotland, France, and Northern Ireland. May do them again.

Ship food - would someone shake those people up - the food is becoming worse and worse. Wish they would serve more food of the region we are traveling to. It was almost the same food but only changes were the sauces. Blah!!!! Only saw 2 regional foods on this cruise and I took advantage of them. WHANT MORE REGIONAL FOODS! My husband discovered the Pizza and went crazy for it. Me, I can have Pizza any day. I am more adventuresome as far as foods go.

We did go to the "Future Cruise" desk and booked our 5th cruise, and put down a new advance deposit for trip #6. Looking forward to November from Houston to Western Caribbean on the same ship. I did ask our steward, and table servers if they will be on the ship in November - are they are. Yea, hope we see them.

Photographers - I want to say, my husband and I fell in LOVE w/ one of the professional photographers - her name is NINE. Yes, like the number. She's from South Africa. We found her on formal night. I notices she made the little funny noises and jesters to get you to move your head and pose. Every picture she took of us turned out PERFECT - just don't let her new your newly purchased photos w/ a marks-a-lot! She started drawing mustaches and glasses on our photo - relax - she saw there was a glare from my husbands glasses and wanted to reprint them. We kept the magic marker picture along with the retouched photo - good story to tell everyone. She took the best pictures we've every had on the cruise - she's very detailed oriented and wants everything perfect and its shows.

Princess Theatre - I already gave my opinion of the theatre itself. Now the performances - I only went to two and wish I had gone to none - my son's High School does a better job. One of the singers was constantly trying to sing OVER everyone and it just ruined it for me.

Casino- What few days it was open, it was paying out - especially the last sea day. OMG - saw lots of huge winners - one was $6,000.00. And No, he had not been feeding it the entire cruise - this was early morning and his first trip to casino. Wasn't even putting in that much, I think he said $40. I did well, walked away even which I always find rewarding - but did have a very good time playing slots.

Excursions - the tour guides were especially knowledgeable on every tour. BUT I wish they gave you more time at the sites and less on the city tours - I felt rushed and since I do walk w/ a cane - rushing isn't my strong suite. Thanks to our guide in Cohb, we skipped the city tour which was suppose to be first then go to Blarney Castle, but we did reverse, and were the very first 42 people in the morning.....no lines for the Blarney Stone - yea!

Now that I know the lay of the ship, getting around next time in November should be easier. We are getting our first Balcony room this time - double yea! Maybe we'll get an upgrade???? We'll see. Not holding my breath.

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess Interior Double Caribe B521

Baja 521 is very typical of all of Princess interior rooms - adequate. Beds are good if you get the egg crates. Room was clean. There are never enough hangers so I generally bring 10 extra. Since its almost midship - not much movement was felt - except the day we got stuck on bottom of port and had to use thrusters for 25 minutes to get moving - felt like we were going to shake apart. Honest!!!!

We took the "shuttle" into town and decided to take one of the local "HOP ON HOP OFF" tours - apparently we picked the wrong one. They took you around a gave an excellent tour w/ lots of details but didn't want you to get off until they finished the talk. Then they told us you could not get off at all of the points listed. We finally convinced them to let us off at the Titanic museum and they reluctantly let us off. Then my husband heard them talking about cancelling most of the remaining busses for the rest of the day as they drove away. I got nervous that we were going to be stranded so we opted to just go to the gift shop and head back to the pick up location. They came around an hour later and we had to listen to the same tour all over again by the same guide. I think that was the only buss they had running - and he kept having to tell the handful of people - sorry folks - we don't stop at all the locations. Don't use the Allen Tours!!!!!

Read 44 Belfast Reviews

(5.5)

We walked the town and went to the Dublin museum where they had an excellent Viking exhibit -so glad we went on our own, or we would of missed it - had no idea the Vikings were so instrumental in the settling of Dublin, including naming it.

Read 77 Dublin Reviews