Wilderness Discoverer Cruise Review by jdavis61

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Wilderness Discoverer Cruise Review by jdavis61
Wilderness Discoverer
Wilderness Discoverer
Member Name: jdavis61
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Juneau
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: nav
See More About: Wilderness Discoverer Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Un-cruise Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms Not Rated
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Wilderness Discoverer Review (by Cruise Critic!)
wonderful experience

Where do I start? The ship (Wilderness Discoverer)- We were in the Navigator level cabin. It is the least expensive and on the lowest level. It is small( about 8x10) but though snug, we found it really neat. The window opens to the sea and since you are on the lowest level it means no railings blocking your view and nobody walking by you window. That means no need to draw the curtain- who cares if a whale or dolphin sees you au naturale?

The crew- Just the best! So friendly and happy to help you in any way possible. The food- Omigosh- everything was perfect. We all were constantly amazed at the variety and quality of the meals.

The activities- Kayaking, hiking, and fun skiff rides to glaciers and land hike areas. Also, the polar bear plunge which is a jump from the ship into 38 degree water which is a one time event near the end of the trip. We didn't partake but about 20 did and it was a blast to watch them. The fellow passengers-they were so much fun and so interesting. We were a like minded group that were looking for more than sitting with 1000 others on those giant ships.

The Un-Cruise company has done their homework. The crew made the time so special. Having been told how they pick their crew, I only wish all employers would follow their technique.

We did the eastern cove, 7 day trip. The weather was gorgeous-hardly any rain and many sunny days. DO NOT be fooled. We were told how unusual that is. So if you read their suggested packing tips-believe them. It will most likely rain so be ready for it. A couple of tips. Many brought their own binoculars but they must have had 15 or 20 of their own in the lounge available for the use of passengers. They have many pairs of "wellies" or rubber calf length boots. I still would advise you bring your own.

Finally, I really recommend the Un-Cruise experience. It was so much fun. In case you think it was perfect- well nothing is. When filling out the initial form for the trip, one question asked if I had a special occasion occurring during the trip and was told to write it in the blank and they would have the crew celebrate it with us on board. Well, i told them my birthday was on May 21 just 3 days into the voyage and I waited each evening for "something" to be announced but it never was. After contacting Un-Cruise afterward, they apologized for the error. Failure to communicate was the reason I think. What do I remember the most? The unbelievable silence after stopping paddling our kayak in Misty Fiord.

Publication Date: 06/04/13
Read the Alaska ports review by jdavis61
More Wilderness Discoverer Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Wilderness Discoverer review Read the next Wilderness Discoverer review

More Alaska Cruise Reviews