Wilderness Discoverer Cruise Review by jdavis61: wonderful experience

wonderful experience

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Juneau

Where do I start? The ship (Wilderness Discoverer)- We were in the Navigator level cabin. It is the least expensive and on the lowest level. It is small( about 8x10) but though snug, we found it really neat. The window opens to the sea and since you are on the lowest level it means no railings blocking your view and nobody walking by you window. That means no need to draw the curtain- who cares if a whale or dolphin sees you au naturale?

The crew- Just the best! So friendly and happy to help you in any way possible. The food- Omigosh- everything was perfect. We all were constantly amazed at the variety and quality of the meals.

The activities- Kayaking, hiking, and fun skiff rides to glaciers and land hike areas. Also, the polar bear plunge which is a jump from the ship into 38 degree water which is a one time event near the end of the trip. We didn't partake but about 20 did and it was a blast to watch them. The fellow passengers-they were so much fun and so More interesting. We were a like minded group that were looking for more than sitting with 1000 others on those giant ships.

The Un-Cruise company has done their homework. The crew made the time so special. Having been told how they pick their crew, I only wish all employers would follow their technique.

We did the eastern cove, 7 day trip. The weather was gorgeous-hardly any rain and many sunny days. DO NOT be fooled. We were told how unusual that is. So if you read their suggested packing tips-believe them. It will most likely rain so be ready for it. A couple of tips. Many brought their own binoculars but they must have had 15 or 20 of their own in the lounge available for the use of passengers. They have many pairs of "wellies" or rubber calf length boots. I still would advise you bring your own.

Finally, I really recommend the Un-Cruise experience. It was so much fun. In case you think it was perfect- well nothing is. When filling out the initial form for the trip, one question asked if I had a special occasion occurring during the trip and was told to write it in the blank and they would have the crew celebrate it with us on board. Well, i told them my birthday was on May 21 just 3 days into the voyage and I waited each evening for "something" to be announced but it never was. After contacting Un-Cruise afterward, they apologized for the error. Failure to communicate was the reason I think. What do I remember the most? The unbelievable silence after stopping paddling our kayak in Misty Fiord. Less

Read more Wilderness Discoverer cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Wilderness Discoverer Review >>

Cabin review: Wilderness Discoverer 203

The navigator cabin on the Wilderness discoverer- It is small, about 8x10 but we grew to love it. Least expensive level of cabin but it is a real advantage to being on lowest level of the ship. All cabins have a window that opens. But the lower level has no railings or walkways to mar your view. Nobody walks by your window meaning you don't have to draw the drapes as others on the upper two levels do! Besides, you are very close to the galley and lounge area. You do hear the engine noise more since being on the lower level, yet after one night that didn't faze us a bit. Remember- you spend very little time in the cabin except to sleep.

It was ok- but take a tour out to Mendenhall glacier.

Read 837 Juneau Reviews

Take the city bus up to the Totem park at the north end of the city.