Carnival Magic Cruise Review by goosetines: Carnival Cut Backs

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Cut Backs

Sail Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Galveston

My husband and I love cruising and always have a great time no matter what. We are 29 and 30 years old, active, prefer food other than burgers and pizza, and don't get "trashed" every night like some cruisers our age. That's the background. We were on the Magic last May, and were disappointed. However, there were some nice features and, like I said, who doesn't like the sun and ocean? We booked the Magic again this May with a last minute deal and again had a great time, but are now rethinking Carnival in the future, no matter the deal.

THE GOOD:
- Personally for me: the tandoori bar
- The steam rooms (even though at $150 per cruise, I wouldn't buy again. Although they were lovely!)
- The slide
- Espresso is good and strong
- Food was tasty overall

THE BAD:
- Service. I hate to say this. I am not picky. I basically clean my room for the steward and only need service once a day. But service everywhere - from the cabin steward to the More bar - was just generally unfriendly and sometimes downright rude. I heard several complaints. I just sat there and took it but many did not. Sat there for 17 minutes once waiting for a bloody mary. I know, I shouldn't have....
- No bar service by the pool. Just get up and get it yourself if you're thirsty
- This was the worst of all!!!! - they serve breakfast until NOON, yes, NOON (hello, I get up at 7 and don't even like breakfast....) with no other options....then lunch is only from noon until 2:30pm - that's it. Dinner is from 6-9:30pm. If you are hungry or choose to eat any other time, your only real option is pizza. Maybe a burger, or a PATHETIC room service sandwich. (I ordered a PB&J, one side of the bread was plain, the other had a smidge of jelly. I am not kidding.) They have lots of options, just terrible times!
- Buffet selection was very sad. Every day it was a salad, a chicken dish, fish, maybe pork, maybe one side of frozen veggies, that's it. Not even mashed potatoes or something easy like that! Sad.
-Just didn't feel real clean. Dirty, stained chairs and sofas in lobby etc.
- The shows were so sub-par, we didn't bother after the first two. Comedians were so bad, I felt sorry for them. It was cringe worthy.

I am not a complainer, like I said - we had a great time. Belize is the best. I recommend the water taxi to Caye Caulker - fabulous! But Carnival has really gone downhill, especially this last 18 months.

Princess remains my favorite (yes, I know it's owned by Carnival! But it is another world!) The service is superb, the cleanliness is there, the buffet is actually open pretty much 24 hours with a FABULOUS selection. I will probably not stray again. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Oceanview Riviera

Fine. I prefer the cabin layouts on Princess. The closets and drawer space were cramped.

This is our favorite port! Don't let the people hassling outside the gate fool you. Although there is pretty much NOTHING to do in Belize City, there are a few good options. Here's what I wholeheartedly recommend: Walk out the gated area to the left. Ask about the water taxi to Caye Caulker. You'll want to catch the 9:00am taxi, and the 1:30pm return. (Belize time). It costs about $30-40 round trip for 2 people. About a 45 min boat ride through GORGEOUS water! Caye Caulker is a stunning little island that you can walk all over. There are no cars, but you can rent golf carts for about $10/hr. Beautiful, PEACEFUL beached, cheap eats, LAID BACK. Can't beat it. That's what we do everytime. My uncle's been going there since the 70's. I recommend a restaurant called "Little Kitchen." She's great. Cruise ships don't go there, so it's never crowded.

Been to Cozumel a lot. We finally figured out- rent a car and negotiate the price. We paid $45 even, no tax. If you head away from downtown, about 8 miles on your right is "Paradise Beach." It's gorgeous, resort style. Big pool, lots of loungers, fabulous ocean front, etc. Drinks, food, clean restrooms, a shop, all that stuff! It's only $2 to hang there! Forget the cruise excursions! This is the place. When you head back, stop at the taco stand just down the road and order a torta. Maybe some tacos pollo. Delicious, cheap, authentic.

Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

I like Roatan! We've been there twice this year, and rented a car through Avis both times. Avis has a booth at the port and it's only $50 for the day. This way we can see everything on our own.

The iguana farm (I hate to say) was not for the $5/each to get in. I'd skip it. The roads are easy to navigate (There's really only one road so you can't really get lost!) We drive down to West Bay beach and park for $1/hr. I recommend skipping the overpriced tourist restaurants and actually prefer the little food stand in the parking area! She's a great cook and makes everything from scratch. Super cheap and very tasty.

Stop at the grocery in town to get drinks for cheaper than the ship. It's about 20 Honduras dollars to $1. You can drink and drive, although don't get carried away!

Read 1642 Roatan Reviews