Carnival Magic Cruise Review by goosetines

Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 6A

Carnival Cut Backs

My husband and I love cruising and always have a great time no matter what. We are 29 and 30 years old, active, prefer food other than burgers and pizza, and don't get "trashed" every night like some cruisers our age. That's the background. We were on the Magic last May, and were disappointed. However, there were some nice features and, like I said, who doesn't like the sun and ocean? We booked the Magic again this May with a last minute deal and again had a great time, but are now rethinking Carnival in the future, no matter the deal.

THE GOOD:
- Personally for me: the tandoori bar
- The steam rooms (even though at $150 per cruise, I wouldn't buy again. Although they were lovely!)
- The slide
- Espresso is good and strong
- Food was tasty overall

THE BAD:
- Service. I hate to say this. I am not picky. I basically clean my room for the steward and only need service once a day. But service everywhere - from the cabin steward to the bar - was just generally unfriendly and sometimes downright rude. I heard several complaints. I just sat there and took it but many did not. Sat there for 17 minutes once waiting for a bloody mary. I know, I shouldn't have....
- No bar service by the pool. Just get up and get it yourself if you're thirsty
- This was the worst of all!!!! - they serve breakfast until NOON, yes, NOON (hello, I get up at 7 and don't even like breakfast....) with no other options....then lunch is only from noon until 2:30pm - that's it. Dinner is from 6-9:30pm. If you are hungry or choose to eat any other time, your only real option is pizza. Maybe a burger, or a PATHETIC room service sandwich. (I ordered a PB&J, one side of the bread was plain, the other had a smidge of jelly. I am not kidding.) They have lots of options, just terrible times!
- Buffet selection was very sad. Every day it was a salad, a chicken dish, fish, maybe pork, maybe one side of frozen veggies, that's it. Not even mashed potatoes or something easy like that! Sad.
-Just didn't feel real clean. Dirty, stained chairs and sofas in lobby etc.
- The shows were so sub-par, we didn't bother after the first two. Comedians were so bad, I felt sorry for them. It was cringe worthy.

I am not a complainer, like I said - we had a great time. Belize is the best. I recommend the water taxi to Caye Caulker - fabulous! But Carnival has really gone downhill, especially this last 18 months.

Princess remains my favorite (yes, I know it's owned by Carnival! But it is another world!) The service is superb, the cleanliness is there, the buffet is actually open pretty much 24 hours with a FABULOUS selection. I will probably not stray again.

Publication Date: 06/05/13