Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by amostd

Cruise Date: November 2003
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
This was my first cruise & I have to say I was really impressed!!! Getting on the ship I heard in other reviews was a long process but it took us only 15 minutes which I thought was really quick. I cant even describe to you the size of the ship its HUGE! It will take you the first two days of your cruise to get familiar with the ship well thats how long it took me.

Room: It was three people in my room my mom, my sister, & myself. We had a balcony room on deck eight. It was a pretty nice size but could have been a tad bit bigger but Im not complaining :) Our Cabin Steward was nice. Every night when we would come back from dinner there would be animals made out of our towels & little chocolates on our pillow.

Dining: I thought the food was good. In a lot of reviews I read before I went on my cruise the food got bad reviews but I thought the opposite. The very first night on our cruise we ate at a restaurant called Portofinos. This restaurant cost $20 but let me tell you it is well worth it! They give you a seven course meal & for the main course I had the lobster which was excellent. Where do you know you can get a seven course meal for $20 NOWHERE! This is the only restaurant on the ship that cost money all of the other restaurants are free like Johnny Rockets which makes hamburgers, hotdogs, chilli fries which are soooo good. Trust me you'll probably eat a Johnny Rockets 3 or 4 times while your on your cruise. Then theres the Windjammer that has buffet style breakfast, lunch, & dinner. I only ate in the Windjammer for breakfast & lunch & it was okay the food could've been a little hotter but then I have to take into consideration the amount of people they have to feed a day so I really cant complain. The main dining room is the best place to eat for dinner thats where you can get the lobster tail & prime rib & for desert baked alaska (my fist time having it) which was excellent. Our waiter Govind from India he was excellent after the first night eating in the dining room he knew all our names & anything we needed he got it for us.

Entertainment: This ship is more family oriented. If you have kids I suggest you bring them because they have a lot of activities for kids. On my next cruise Im definitely bringing my four year old son. The shows were Excellent! The Ice Skating Show was very good. I couldn't believe the things that the skaters could do on that little rink. Before & After dinner they have production shows in the Palace theater. The comedy shows were good. They also had Karaoke which was fun. But to me the best part of the entertainment on the cruise was the disco in the Chamber Nightclub. It starts at 11:00 p.m & doesn't end until 4:00 in the morning. Thats where everybody would be. They would also have a Jamaican Band playing on the pool deck which was really fun. The band would have dance contests. The Pool Waiters would dance with drinks on their heads it was really fun. They also have a casino where my mothers friend always stayed at & she even won $400.

Ports: I did the Eastern Caribbean which was San Juan Puerto Rico, St Maarten, St Thomas, Nassau Bahamas. San Juan: We went on a sightseeing tour of the island for $15. On half of the tour I was sleep. A lot of people in their reviews didn't like San Juan me being one of them!

St Maarten: I really cant talk about St Maarteen because I didn't see much of it. I was only off the ship for an hour because I got really sick & I got back on the ship.

St Thomas: I really enjoyed St Thomas especially if your going there for jewelry shopping you can get some great deals!!! My mom bought an 18k gold omega necklace with the diamond baguette pendant to go on it for $1400 when we came back she got it appraised & its worth $5000. I also got an 18k gold omega necklace for $400 & my necklace is appraised at $1000. I definitely want to come back to St Thomas to do some more shopping!

Nassau: I liked the Bahamas when we got off the ship we had a taxi take us to the Atlantis Hotel for about $ 6 round trip. But just to let you know if you do go to the Atlantis most of the hotel activities cost to get in if your not staying there.

I have to say overall my Royal Caribbean Cruise was much more than I expected from the service,entertainment,food, everything was wonderful. All of this for the price no wonder this cruise has made my mothers 11th you cant beat it. I recommend this ship its well worth it. I cant wait to Dec 04' Im going back on the same ship but this time where doing the Western Caribbean. HAPPY SAILING :)

Publication Date: 01/15/04